Kenya is a country on the shore of the Indian Ocean in eastern Africa. It is well-known for its abundance of wildlife. Also, there are many gorgeous geological features in this country. Which includes wide savannah, wild Lakelands, dramatic valleys, picturesque mountains and much more. All in all, Kenya is one of the top vacation places in the world. Today, let us see what are the things to do in Kenya.
- BookOnBoard’s Travel Guide to Kenya
- List of things to do in Kenya
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Visiting Kenya
- Wrapping up
- Explore Africa!
BookOnBoard’s Travel Guide to Kenya
Traveling to Kenya is fun! You can enjoy the famous wildlife with lions, elephants, zebras and much more here. Moreover, the beautiful scenery here will surely take your breath away. Kenya encompasses a large area and many attractions. As such, it can be difficult to figure out what are the top things to do in Kenya during your short vacation.
Don’t worry, though! For this reason, BookOnBoard is here with a Kenya Travel Guide. You can find out the best things to do in Kenya, the Best Places to visit in Kenya, the Cheapest places to stay in Kenya, the Most popular places to eat in Kenya, etc. Also, read on to find out Fun things to do in Kenya, Affordable hotels in Kenya, Low-cost flights to Kenya, Kenya Holiday Packages, etc.
List of things to do in Kenya
- Safaris and Wildlife watching in Maasai Mara
- Dining, Shopping, Museum visits and Nightlife in Nairobi
- Birdwatching, Elephant observation in Amboseli
- Flamingo Watching and Rhinos in Lake Nakuru
- Safaris, Beach activities, Historic places and Seaside resorts in Mombasa
- Rock Climbing and biking in Hell’s Gate
- Hiking, Rock climbing, and safaris in Mount Kenya
- Beach life, sailing, and watersports on Diani Beach
Now, let us look at these top activities in Kenya in detail.
This is the largest wildlife reserve in this country. Additionally, it is contiguous with Serengeti. Consequently, this is arguably the most popular wildlife-watching destination in the whole world. It is the very best of the best places to visit in Kenya!
Safaris in Masai Mara are famous! You can take many package tours from many points in the jungle. These tours include day-long rides in safe vehicles. While you can watch lions, cheetahs, elephants, and other wild animals up close and personal.
Nairobi is the capital of this country. It is a great city, containing all modern life’s amenities. You can stay at many of the modern hotels. You can also find fine dining and great shopping all around. There are many museums for your family to visit.
There are lots of things to do in Nairobi! The Masai Market is a great place to buy souvenirs from local tribal craftsmen. Carnivore is one of the most popular places to eat in Kenya. Also, being a city with a variety of demographics, you can find some of the cheapest places to stay in Kenya here. There is go-karting, ice skating, art and theater watching, national museum visiting and many more to do here.
Amboseli National Park is a huge wildlife and local culture preserve. As such, most people living here are Masai’s. The park is teeming with famous African wildlife. Also, the half-swamp half-desert half-dense-jungle nature in this area means this place hosts many migration routes.
Consequently, the park’s top attraction is safaris. You can take one of the many safaris in Amboseli to watch the wildlife here. You will surely be awed by the hordes of Elephants here. Besides, the park is also home and host to over 400 species of birds. Some of which are seasonal and migratory. That means it is a veritable bird-watchers’ paradise!
How much pink could you handle? Miles-long flocks of flamingos cover the Lake Nakuru shoreline all the time. It is one of the large Rift Valley soda lakes. As such, it has an abundance of algae. In turn, which attracts the flamingos. Many other birds like water live here as well.
But that’s not all! The Lake Nakuru region is also famous for the teeming wildlife here. You can see warthods, baboons, many deers and similar animals here. But most famous of all are the rhinos here. If you are lucky, you might get to see some of the great white rhinos as well.
It is the second-most popular city in this lovely country. This is because the city is very old and is rich with historical spots. It was victim to many wars, and the multiple historic buildings bear the wounds yet. Indeed, the very name of the city is a Kiswahili word, meaning ‘City of War’. Fort Jesus and the Old Town will make you think.
Not only historic exhibits, but Mombasa offers much more. This cosmopolitan tourist hub is filled with many fun tourist activities. For example, Mombasa has several beaches to enjoy and relax in. There are several modern activities like go-karting, scuba diving, snorkeling, etc. For a chill thrill, visit the Mamba Village Center. That is the largest crocodile and snake farm in Africa!
Located northwest of Nairobi, Hell’s Gate has many tall cliffs. A narrow break among those cliffs earned the name. It was actually a great lake in prehistoric times. As such, there are many fossils found here. The Hell’s Gate National Park is rather small, comparably. But what it lacks in size, it more than makes up with scenery and a variety of wildlife. You should know that the Gorge here was the real-life inspiration for the stampede scene in the Lion King.
The area boasts many cliffs and hills, with gorges in-between. That makes this a beautiful place for nature photography. Also, there are countless trails in the wilds. These trails go over, around or through the cliffs and streams. Which provides a variety of challenges to hikers and bikers alike. You must visit the Hell’s Gate Gorge, and the Fischer’s Tower and Central Tower columns here. You can also climb the cliffs, which proves to be quite difficult at times.
Plenty of rock climbing and trekking opportunities await you in Mount Kenya! The mountain itself is gorgeous, especially in winter. There are many caves and waterfalls to explore here as well. Not to mention the abundance of wildlife that seems to be synonymous with Africa.
Going offbeat, you can eat at one of the most original restaurants in the world at Trout Tree. You can actually fish for your lunch or supper and have them cook it for you, native-style. Other than that, you got a special rhino sanctuary here. Also, the Panesic hotel here is one of the most affordable places to stay in Kenya.
Last but not the least, Diani Beach is the numero uno famous beach zone in this beautiful country. It is only 30 kilometers south of Mombasa. That makes it very accessible from your staying place in town. The beach is spectacular with white sands and dreamlike surf. It is so cool that the beaches here can probably compete with those on the islands of Hawaii.
Diani, being primarily a beach town, offers you a ton of beach activities, of course. You can spend a day in leisure on the white sand beaches here, sunbathing and sand castling. For the active types, there are plenty of water sports and activities. These include surfing, boating, scuba diving, snorkeling, and much more. You can also go skydiving, golfing, trekking up the Shimba Hills, visit art galleries, etc. The resorts here are famous for hospitality and spas.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Visiting Kenya
1. When is the best time to visit Kenya?
- The dry season is the best time to visit this country. That is, from June to October. At this time, there are no wet, problematic weather conditions. Also, most animals and birds are most active in this period. Many spectacular migrations take place in this time as well. However, this also means that the parks, hotels, and tours are swamped in visitors. If you are looking for seclusion and budget options, you should wait until November to travel to Kenya. Provided, of course, you don’t mind a bit of foul weather.
2. Where should I stay in Kenya?
- As the tourism industry is the top business in this country, there is no shortage of hotels and resorts in Kenya. Many of the Parks also have lodges and in-park resorts. All of these range from cheap to luxurious in nature. Some of the top hotels in Kenya are:
- Tuliahouse Backpackers
- Diani Backpackers
- Hilton Nairobi
- Royal Mara Safari Lodge
- However, if you are looking for budget options, you have plenty of choices there as well. For example, some of the cheapest places to stay in Kenya are:
- Diani Hostel
- Buddhas Tree Backpackers
- Shiloh Guest House & Restaurant
- …and many more!
3. What is there to eat in Kenya?
- The Kenyan culture is rich with local cuisine! They eat maize, millet, sorghum, meat from many local animals, and local veggies. Using combinations of these, they prepare many sumptuous dishes. Most common local dishes include:
- Nyama Choma
- Sukuma Wiki
- Tusker (drink)
- Kenyan Pilau
- Wali Wa Naji
- Most of the good eating places in Kenya are concentrated around the cities Nairobi and Mombasa. Besides, hotels offer local food as well. Some of the most popular places to eat in Kenya are:
- The Carnivore Restaurant
- Seven Seafood & Grill
- Misono Japanese Restaurant
- Fordhani Restaurant
- Trout Tree Restaurant
- Mt Kenya Canyon Bistro
- Rift Valley Spur Steak Ranch
- Eeman Restaurant
4. What are the cheapest flights to Kenya?
- Kenya Airways ferries passengers and cargo from all over the world to Kenya. Some of the low-cost flights to Kenya are from:
- New York
- Abu Dhabi
- New Delhi
- Cape Town
5. Are there good package tours in Kenya?
- Of course! Kenya is famous for its many package tours. They vary from week-long tours to day trips or even 2-3 hour excursions or safari rides. Some of the most appreciated Kenya Holiday Packages are:
- Masai Mara & Lake Nakuru All-inclusive – 4 days
- Masai Mara All-inclusive – 3 days
- Mount Kenya Sirimon Route – 4 days
- Kenya Classic – 12 days
No wonder Kenya is so full of visitors all the time! From exciting wildlife and exquisite vistas to beaches, history, food, and nightlife – this country has it all. Accordingly, this makes Kenya one of the top holiday destinations in the world. Our guide to Kenya tries to describe the top things to do in Kenya and the best places to visit in Kenya.
We hope you enjoyed our article. However, we are always looking for suggestions on how to improve our blog further. Please use the comment section below to let us know your thoughts! Afterward, you can also check out some of BookOnBoard’s travel guides to other African locations.
- Things To Do In Dar es Salaam
- THE 10 BEST Things to Do in Accra In 2021
- Top 10 Best Things to Do in Tanzania 2020
- Top 10 Best Things to do in Entebbe 2020
- Top 10 Best Things to do in Uganda, Kampala 2020
- Top 10 Best Things to do in Mauritius 2020
- Top 10 Best Things to Do in Seychelles 2020
- Top 10 Best Things to Do in Harare Zimbabwe 2020
- Top 10 Best Things to Do in Nairobi in 2020
- Top 10 Best Things to do in Morocco 2020