All bags are charged for at Sun Country Airlines, except 1 personal item. However, the airport baggage checking fees are less compared to others. The Sun Country Airlines Baggage Rules have changed after pandemic and so, here is the Sun Country Baggage Fees & Allowance 2021 Update.
- Summary of Sun Country Baggage Allowance Table
- Sun Country Airlines Carry-On Allowance
- Sun Country carry-on rules
- Sun Country Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
- Sun Country Airlines Checked Baggage Fees Chart
- Sun Country Airlines Carry-On Restrictions
- Sun Country Airlines Restricted Items Policy
- Sun Country Airlines Prohibited Items List
- FAQs about Sun Country Baggage Fees
Summary of Sun Country Baggage Allowance Table
|Bag Type||Maximum Dimensions||Maximum Weight||Fees apply? *|
|Personal Item||17 × 13 × 9 inches||Carry in-hand||No|
|Carry On||24 × 16 × 11 inches||35 pounds||Yes|
|Checked Bags||62 linear inches||50 pounds||Yes|
Sun Country Airlines Carry-On Allowance
Sun Country Airlines allows you to take one personal item and one carry-on bag on board. The personal item is free, the carry-on is not. The Sun Country carry-on policy is as follows.
Sun Country carry-on rules
- Sun Country personal item
- Allowed 1 per adult
- Purse, small backpack, attaché case etc.
- Size: 17” × 13” × 9” (43 cm × 33 cm × 22.9 cm)
- Weight: unspecified, but you have to be able to carry it on you
- Must fit under the seat in front of you
- Cost: free of charge
- Sun Country carry-on baggage
- Allowed 1 per adult
- Trolly bag, kitbag, suitcase etc.
- Size: 24” × 16” × 11” (61 cm × 40.5 cm × 28 cm)
- Weight: 35 pounds (15.9 kgs)
- Must fit in the overhead bin
- Infant’s items must be put inside your carry-on
- Online during booking: $30
- Online after booking: $35
- Contact center during booking: $35
- Contact center after booking: $40
- At the airport: $40
Note: you can take a stroller or baby car seat on board free of charge, but it will be counted as your carry-on luggage.
Sun Country Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
As mentioned above, just like carry-on fees, the Sun Country checked baggage fees increase as you get closer to your flight.
Sun Country checked bag rules
- Maximum size allowed: 62 linear inches or 158 cm in total dimensions (length + weight + height)
- Maximum weight allowed: 50 pounds (23 kgs)
- Above these restrictions, the bag will be charged extra oversize and/or overweight costs respectively, as applicable.
Sun Country Airlines Checked Baggage Fees Chart
|Booking when||Bag no. 1||Bag no. 2||Bag nos. 3+|
|During online booking||$30||$40||$40|
|After online booking||$35||$45||$50|
|During booking at the Contact Center||$35||$45||$50|
|After booking at the Contact Center||$40||$50||$60|
Sun Country free checked bags: if you are an active U.S. military personnel or Sun Country Airlines Visa Signature Cardholder, then you may get some of your checked bags for free of cost, or may get some portion of the fees waived off. Please check the official Sun Country Airlines website for more details on this.
Sun Country Airlines Carry-On Restrictions
For the safety of all passengers including you, the Sun Country Airlines have restricted or forbidden the carriage of some items in their planes. The following is the list of items you can bring on a Sun Country flight if you follow the conditions to the letter.
Sun Country Airlines Restricted Items Policy
|Liquids & aerosol (soft drinks, gels, deodorant, juice, lotion, cream, paste etc.)||Each bottle or container less than 3.4 oz (100 ml) in size All containers placed in a 1-quart clear plastic zip lock bag|
|Baby formula/juice, breast milk, liquid/aerosol medication||Can bring up to 1 liter Must declare to the TSA agent at airport|
|Non-electric mobility aids like crutches or braces||Must follow FAA regulations Does not count as a carry-on|
|Alcoholic drinks||Less than 70% (140 proof) only Must be in original retail packaging|
|Batteries||As per TSA battery carrying regulations|
|Car seats, child seats||Only FAA-approved items Must purchase a seat for it|
|E-cigs||Can carry but not use in the flight|
|Frozen items||As per TSA frozen items regulations|
|Lighter/safety matches||Can bring only 1 of these Must pack in the carry-on|
|Musical instruments||Counts as a carry-on Will be subjected to Sun Country carry-on policies If bigger than policy size, will be taken as checked bag You can purchase a seat for your cello or similar items|
|Sports equipment||As carry on or checked bag. No blunt instrument in carry on.|
|Wedding dress||Must pack in protective case Counted as carry-on and same rules apply|
Sun Country Airlines Prohibited Items List
You can never bring the following items on a Sun Country flight, either in your carry-on or in checked bags.
- Flammable substances
- Compressed Gases
- Radioactive materials
- Lithium batteries
- Spray starch
- Liquid fuels
- Liquid oxygen
- Torch lighters
- Strike anywhere matches
- Oxygen bottles or cylinders
Sun Country Airlines additional baggage fees
If your checked bag is very large or very heavy (more than the Sun Country baggage size/weight limit), it will be counted as an oversize or overweight items and extra charges will be applied to that bag, above and including the standard fees. The Sun Country excess luggage rules are as follows:
Sun Country Oversize Bag
- Size: 63 inches (160 cm) and above in total linear dimensions (length + width + height)
- Cost: $100
Sun Country Overweight Bag
- Weight: 51 pounds to 100 pounds (23 to 45 kgs)
- Cost: $20 up to 60 pounds (27 kg) OR $60 up to 100 pounds (45 kgs)
FAQs about Sun Country Baggage Fees
1. Do you get a free checked bag with Sun Country?
Sun Country Airlines checked bags are not included in your seat ticket and must be purchased extra. However, if you on active US military duty or you have used a Sun Country Airlines Visa Signature Card to pay for the ticket, then you may have some or entire luggage charges at the Sun Country Airlines waived off. Please check with the airlines official site for more details about this.
2. Do you get charged for a Sun Country carry-on bag?
Yes, you will have to pay for your Sun Country carry-on baggage. Depending upon when you are paying for the bag, you may need to pay $25 to $40 for the carry-on. Further, if you haven’t purchased a carry-on and show up at the gate with one, you will have to pay for the bag as a carry-on or the checked bag fee (as the situation demands), and pay an additional gate check charge (as applicable).
3. How strict is Sun Country with personal item?
Sun Country is very strict with the carry-on luggage. Passengers are allowed only 1 personal item and 1 carry-on bag per adult in the flight and they must pay for the carry-on as well. The personal item at a Sun Country flight must be less than 17” × 13” × 9” and fit under the seat. The Sun Country carry-on bag has to fit in the sizer box at the airport (24” × 16” × 11”) and weigh less than 35 pounds.
4. Can you bring food on Sun Country Airlines?
The flight crews at a Sun Country Airlines flight will give you a free drink of your choice from what’s available, but no food. If you want to snack on the flight, you have to bring it with you. The food has to be packed properly and there may be additional rules applicable. If you are bringing any frozen foods, it must follow the TSA rules.
5. Can you pick seats on Sun Country?
Yes, you can select your seats in a Sun Country Airlines flight. This is possible with online booking only, though. You can pick and choose from any available seat in your selected cabin, or you can also choose after the booking is done using the Sun Country confirmation code, provided there are any further choice available. Note that it may cost you.
6. Do Sun Country seats recline?
In the main cabin of a Sun Country flight, the seats are standard economy seats, with limited recline and about 29-30 inches of leg room. The space may be a bit pinched in the 2-3 back rows.
7. Does a duffel bag count as a personal item?
If a bag is under the 17” × 13” × 9” limit and fits under the seat in front of you, then any bag or item can be counted as a free personal item at Sun Country flights. If your duffel bag is smaller than that and you can somehow manage to fit it under the seat, then sure, it can be a Sun Country personal item. If it is bigger than that, you may have to take it as a carry-on or check it, and pay the applicable Sun Country baggage fees.
8. Does Sun Country charge for seat assignments?
Yes, you may have to pay to pick and choose a good seat at the Sun Country Airlines. Depending on the seat position, time of year, and length of flight, you may have to pay from $2 to $35 for choosing a specific seat.
9. When can you check in for Sun Country?
For all flights, Sun Country Airlines passengers can check-in online between 1 to 24 hours before the scheduled departure time.
10. Are Sun Country flights being Cancelled?
Due to the pandemic, like many other airlines big and small, Sun Country is also cancelling some of its flights. Please check with the airline carefully before booking.
11. How do I get my boarding pass for Sun Country?
The easiest way to get a Sun Country boarding pass is to get it online. If you’re checking in online, you can opt for a free mobile boarding pass via email or app and print it out.