While hiking is a great way to enjoy nature and get some exercise, it’s easy to end up injured if you’re not careful. Even though hiking boots are designed to protect your feet, it’s important to take care when hiking in order to avoid injury.
You’ll want to avoid going barefoot on sharp rocks and other rough terrains. You’ll also want to make sure your shoes are fitted correctly and that you’re wearing the right type of socks.
If you’re hiking on uneven terrain or in areas that have been damaged by natural disasters, it’s also important to make sure your hiking boots have the proper support.
This article will discuss the best micro spikes for hiking so you can ensure you have the best.
- Best Micro Spikes For Hiking
- How To Choose The Best Micro Spikes For Hiking
- Best Micro Spikes For Hiking
- Kahtoola MICROspikes
- ICETrekkers Diamond Grip Traction Cleats (1 Pair)
- Yaktrax Traction Chains for Walking on Ice and Snow (1 Pair)
- Yaktrax Hiking and Walking Traction Cleats
- Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra I Ice Cleat Traction System for Hiking
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- Final Verdict
Best Micro Spikes For Hiking
How To Choose The Best Micro Spikes For Hiking
Choosing the best micro spikes for hiking can be tricky, especially if you’re not familiar with the products. Here are some of the most important factors to consider when making your selection.
When choosing your Micro Spikes, you should look at how much traction they provide. If you’re hiking on ice or snow, you’ll need a lot of traction to avoid falling or slipping. If you’re hiking on rocks or through mud, however, less traction will be needed.
The design of your Micro Spikes will depend on where and how often you use them. If you plan on using them only in winter conditions, a more basic design should suffice. If you plan on using them all year long, however, look for ones with more features such as insulation and waterproofing to keep your feet warm and dry throughout all seasons.
Comfort is the most important factor to consider when choosing microspikes for hiking. You need to be able to wear them for hours at a time without any discomfort or pain.
You don’t want to spend a fortune on micro spikes for hiking. But at the same time, paying too little can cost you in terms of performance and durability. If you can’t afford them at full price, look for sales or used options. But always make sure that the quality is good before buying anything that’s been used by another hiker.
Best Micro Spikes For Hiking
- Lightweight and easy to pack
- The elastomer harness is lightweight and stretchy
- The TPU inserts are reinforced with tough TPU material
- They are designed for all-around use
- 12-month manufacture warranty
The MICROspikes come with a welded stainless steel chain to provide grip and prevent snow buildup while remaining flexible and highly packable. Each spike has an integrated toe bail as well as tough TPU inserts that reinforce key stress points in the harness. So it can be strong yet lightweight.
This microspike is designed to be used on mountain trails, and it’s ideal for hiking shoes and boots. With these spikes, you’ll get a secure fit that remains stretchy in cold temperatures down to -22°F (-30°C). The 12 heat-treated stainless-steel corrosion-resistant spikes per foot are placed strategically at the forefoot and heel of your shoe or boot. It ensures optimal traction that aggressively bites into icy terrain.
In addition to being extremely comfortable, weighing just 5 ounces (142 grams) each. These spikes also come with their own carrying case that’s compact enough for bringing them along on trips. They’re great for hikers who want something durable but don’t want to add a lot of weight. The MICROspikes are perfect for use on snow and ice, as well as in mountainous areas where there are many rocky trails.
- BEST FOR: Winter hiking, backpacking, ice-trekking, ice fishing and trail-running. The MICROspikes are designed for all-around use and your backcountry winter adventures! Ideal for hiking shoes and boots and to be used on mountain trails.
- SPIKE DESIGN: 12 heat-treated stainless-steel corrosion resistant spikes per foot. 8 spikes at the forefoot, and 4 spikes at the heel ensure optimal traction that aggressively bites into icy terrain.
- ELASTOMER HARNESS & REINFORCED EYELETS: Using a patented eyelet design, tough TPU inserts reinforce key stress points, allowing the elastomer harness to be strong yet lightweight. Constructed from a durable TPE for a secure fit that remains stretchy in cold temperatures, down to -22°F (-30°C).
- ADDITIONAL FEATURES: Welded stainless steel chains provide grip and prevent snow buildup, while remaining flexible and highly packable. Pack size: 5 x 3 x 2 inches (30 in3). The integrated toe bail and tough TPU inserts prevent the toe from pushing through the stretchy elastomer harness.
- KAHTOOLA: Est. in 1999 Kahtoola is on a mission to build exceptional products that make the outdoors more accessible and rewarding. Please see sizing chart in product images. 2-year manufacturer warranty. Shoes not included.
ICETrekkers Diamond Grip Traction Cleats (1 Pair)
- Works on boots and shoes
- Can be used in a variety of conditions
- Easy to put on and take off
- Good traction
The best part about these cleats is that they don’t just provide traction; they provide aggressive traction! We’ve used them on ice, snow, and even mud with no problems whatsoever. And even though these are designed for winter walking conditions, We’ve found that they work great all year round. They’re one of our go-to pairs of sneakers no matter what time of year it is!
One of my favorite pairs of micro spikes is the IceTrekkers Diamond Grip Traction Cleats (1 Pair). These are made of hardened steel alloy and strung on a steel cable. So they’re super durable and last for years. They’re also super easy to put on your shoes. You just thread them through the eyelets like you would regular shoelaces.
The only thing that kept us from giving them 5 stars is that they aren’t quite as comfortable as some of the other options out there. But honestly, if you’re looking for something that will make your hike more enjoyable and safer, this is definitely the best option.
- Shoe grips designed to provide aggressive traction in winter walking conditions
- Made of case-hardened steel alloy and strung on steel aircraft cable
- Riveted to tough rubber sling that fits tennis shoes, boots and dress shoes
- Sling remains elastic even in subzero temperatures to keep grips secure
- Self-clearing design prevents snow and ice buildup
Yaktrax Traction Chains for Walking on Ice and Snow (1 Pair)
- Durable and sturdy
- Easy to put on and take off
- Reasonably priced
- Fits most shoes and boots
The Yaktrax Traction Chain is the perfect solution for getting around in the cold. It provides superior traction during prolonged use on icy, snowy surfaces. The TIG welded steel links ensure durability in the most rugged conditions, while the square-shaped links have 90-degree edges that bit into ice.
The low-profile ladder pattern design provides enhanced heel-to-toe traction, without a lot of bulk, ensuring slip-free walks. And best of all, these cleats are made with natural rubber sling which remains elastic and secure even in subzero temperatures. You can put them on and take them off easily, too!
They are easy to put on and remove. So they’re great for keeping in your backpack or glove compartment when you’re out and about. And they’re made out of natural rubber, so they don’t stiffen up in cold weather. Also, they remain elastic and secure even when it’s subzero outside!
- Durable, low profile traction cleats fit over shoes and boots to provide superior traction during prolonged use on icy, snowy surfaces
- TIG welded steel links ensure durability in the most rugged conditions; square-shaped links have 90-degree edges that bit into ice
- Low-profile ladder pattern design provides enhanced heel-to-toe traction, without a lot of bulk, ensuring slip-free walks
- Natural rubber sling remains elastic and secure even in sub-zero temperatures; easy to put on and take off
- Available in S, M, L, and XL to fit most shoes and boots, add one shoe size for regular boots and two sizes for insulated boots; sold as a pair
Yaktrax Hiking and Walking Traction Cleats
- Lightweight and affordable slip-on traction cleats
- Made of abrasion-resistant 1.2 mm steel coils
- Provides 360 degrees of traction
- Not as durable as the other products
The metal coils provide a ton of grip on slippery surfaces and make it much less likely that you’ll slip or fall when crossing rivers or walking through the snow. They’re also easy to put on and take off, which is great because you don’t have to worry about them slowing you down when you need to get moving quickly.
The elastic outer band allows for easy on/off during those times when you need to remove them quickly. Like when you have to walk through the mud or snow before getting into your car or home! The zinc coating helps prevent rusting so these cleats will last longer than your average pair of winter boots or shoes!
They have so many different styles to choose from, so you can find the perfect fit for your needs. We love that these are 100% synthetic and lightweight, making them easy to slip on and off when necessary. They are affordable, so they’re great for everyone who wants to stay safe while walking in inclement weather.
- Lightweight and affordable slip-on traction cleats to reduce the risk of falls when walking on snow or ice to work, school, or even to the mailbox
- Made of abrasion-resistant 1.2 mm steel coils with zinc coating to prevent rust; secured to shoes with durable Polyelastomer outer band
- Provides 360 degrees of traction on cold surfaces for all-direction stability
- Highly elastic outer band with heel tab slips easily slips on and off of shoes; perfect for pedestrians, professionals and the elderly
- Available in four sizes: X-Small (W2.5-6/M1-4.5); Small (W6.5-10, M5-8.5); Medium (W10.5-12.5, M9-11); Large (W13-15, M11.5-13.5)
Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra I Ice Cleat Traction System for Hiking
- Traction & comfort
- Downhill traction
- Best looking and design
- Not as durable as the other products
These crampons also have double link side chains that attach at the toe bar, which keeps them securely in place when you’re hiking up mountains or climbing over rocks. The straps are made from elastomer material so they won’t cut into your legs during long hikes, but they’ll still protect against debris like stones and roots that may get stuck between them as well!
The spikes are made from carbon steel and they come in two different sizes: 13mm and 15mm. The front of the crampons has 18 spikes, while the back has 3 longer 15mm spikes. This helps with traction both going uphill and downhill, which is great for tackling steep trails covered in ice or snow.
The spikes on this tool are made from carbon steel. It means they’re tough but lightweight enough that they won’t weigh you down. The front plate is hinged so that it can bend with your foot when you step off a rock or ledge. It helps to reduce fatigue while walking long distances on rough terrain.
- VERSATILE: The Trail Crampon Ultra is compatible with running shoes, hiking shoes with rigid or soft soles, and winter boots. Suitable for trail running on packed snow, black ice, and partially covered trails.
- TRACTION & COMFORT: 18 carbon steel 13mm and 15mm spikes combined with a hinged front plate system allow for unrivaled flexibility and secure strides on steep uphill and downhill trails covered in snow and ice.
- DOWNHILL TRACTION: The front features 12 spikes at 13mm while the back plate features 3 longer 15mm spikes for dependable traction going downhill.
- SECURE & DURABLE: Equipped with double link side chains, steel toe bar, and durable elastomer harness which provides a strong grip as well as protection against rocks, roots, and other debris.
- CARRY BAG INCLUDED: A convenient puncture-proof, heavy-duty, water resistant, and drawstring carry bag for quick and easy storage before and after your adventure.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What’s the difference between microspikes and crampons?
Microspikes are essentially a smaller version of the hiking crampons you might use in winter. They’re designed to provide traction on icy terrain and make it easier to hike up steep hills or mountains.
On the other hand, crampons are designed for use in snow and ice. They’re heavier and more cumbersome than microspikes. But they provide extra stability when you’re walking on snow or ice.
Are Microspikes necessary?
Microspikes are necessary if you’re going to be walking on ice. The spikes are designed to dig into the ice and give you traction. So you can walk at a normal pace instead of having to shuffle along like a penguin.
Can you carry-on microspikes?
Yes, you can carry-on microspikes.
They can be stored in your carry-on baggage and do not need to be checked in. You may want to consider bringing a small bag with you just in case they are needed while you are flying. But they should be able to fit in your main bag as well.
How do you take care of a Microspike?
Microspikes are easy to take care of. All you have to do is make sure they’re clean and dry before storing them, and wipe them down with rubbing alcohol every so often if you think they might be getting grungy. If you want to store them over the winter, store them in a cool place with a low humidity level.
So, there you have it! Microspikes are a great way to ensure that your hike is safe and fun. We hope this article has given you some more information on the subject, and we hope it helps you have an amazing time out in nature!