Hawaii, the island paradise, is one of the best places you can spend the holidays in. But if you are going to Hawaii on a Hawaiian Airlines flight or using them for Hawaii island hopping, then you should know that Hawaiian Airlines have updated their baggage policies for the post-pandemic times. So, here is the Hawaiian Airlines baggage fees & policy.
Hawaii Air divides its flights into three categories – Neighbor Island Flights, North America Flights, and International Flights. Baggage fees at Hawaiian Airlines are different for each category.
- Hawaiian Airlines Baggage Size Summary Table
- Hawaiian Airlines Baggage Fees Table
- Hawaiian Airlines Baggage Allowance Domestic
- Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Baggage Allowance
- Table of Checked Baggage Fees at Hawaiian Airlines
- Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Restrictions
- Hawaiian Airlines’ additional baggage fees
- Hawaiian Airlines Oversize / Overweight Baggage Fees Chart
- FAQ’s About Hawaiian Airlines Baggage Fees
Hawaiian Airlines Baggage Size Summary Table
|Baggage Type||Maximum Size||Maximum Weight|
|1 Personal Item||Must fit under the seat||Must easily carry yourself|
|1 Carry-On Bag||22” × 14” × 9” (55 × 35 × 22 cm)||25 lbs (11 kg)|
|Any Checked Bag||62” (157 cm) in total dimensions||50 lbs (23 kg)|
Hawaiian Airlines Baggage Fees Table
|Bag no.||Neighbor Island Flights||North America Flights||International/First Class|
|3rd bags +||$50||$100||$150 (local currency)|
Hawaiian Airlines Baggage Allowance Domestic
Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Baggage Allowance
Hawaiian Airlines will allow each passenger to take the following items on board:
- One personal item (purse, briefcase, small backpack, etc.)
- One carry-on bag (a small bag that you can carry yourself) OR a collapsible stroller or car seat
- One diaper bag and baby food container (when traveling with an infant)
Hawaiian Airlines Carry-on Baggage policy
- Personal Item size and weight: it must fit under the sit in front of you, and you must be able to carry it on your person
- Hawaiian Airlines Carry-on Baggage size and weight: max 22” × 14” × 9” (55 × 35 × 22 cm), up to 25 lbs. (11 kg)
- Your carry-on must be stowed in the overhead bin
- If the overhead bin is full, they will stow the carry-on in the luggage hold or cargo compartment
Hawaiian Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
- Hawaiian Air checked bag size: maximum 62” (157 cm) in total dimensions (length + width + height)
- Hawaiian Airlines checked bag weight: maximum 50 lbs. (23 kg)
Table of Checked Baggage Fees at Hawaiian Airlines
|Class/Flight||Bag no. 1||Bag no. 2||Bag no. 3 and above|
|Main Cabin / Neighbor Island||$25||$35||$50|
|Main Cabin / North America||$30||$40||$100|
|Main Cabin / International||Free||Free||$150 *|
|First Class / Neighbor Island||Free||Free||$50|
|First Class / North America||Free||Free||$100|
|First Class / International||Free||Free||$150 *|
Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Restrictions
You cannot bring the following items on board a Hawaiian Airlines flight:
|• Camping stoves|
• Electric unicycles
• Fuel canisters
• Samsung Galaxy Note 7
• Compressed gas cartridges
• Internal combustion devices
• Engine or car parts
• Live fish
• Live lobster
• Alcohol over 70%
• Smart bags
|• Rodents (i.e., guinea pigs, mice, rats, etc.)|
• Paint (except small tubes)
• Fermented fish sauce
• Nail polish remover (except in small quantities)
• Tires (except for bicycles)
• Self-heating pads
• Hand warmers
• Seat Accessories
• Recalled batteries and devices.
• Pepper spray
• Stun guns
• Shocking devices
• Fire dance apparatus
• Alarmed briefcases or attaché case
• Swingles golf clubs
• Firearms and Ammunition
• Self-defense sprays
• Tasers and shocking devices
• Light bulbs
• Matches and lighters
• Electric unicycles
• Wet ice
Hawaiian Airlines’ additional baggage fees
As mentioned above, Hawaiian Airlines restricts bag size/weight to 62” and 50 lbs. for standard checked bags. Going above those limits will mean it is a Hawaiian Airlines oversize bag and/or a Hawaiian Airlines overweight bag.
Hawaiian Airlines Oversize / Overweight Baggage Fees Chart
Important Hawaii Airlines Oversize/Overweight Policies
• Oversize bag: above 62” to 80” (157 cm to 206 cm) in total dimensions (length + width + height).
• Overweight bag: above 50 pounds to 100 pounds (20 kg to 45 kg).
• If your flight route source or destination is Papeete or Australia or New Zealand, then the maximum baggage weight is limited to 70 pounds (32 kg).
• The aforementioned fees are applied above the normal baggage fees, and more than one type of fee can be applied to a bag if it falls into the respective categories.
• You cannot pre-pay for luggage if you have less than 24 hours of time before departure. We suggest you pay before that to avoid complications.
FAQ’s About Hawaiian Airlines Baggage Fees
- Are carry-on bags free on Hawaiian Airlines?
- Hawaiian Airlines allows each passenger to take 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop bag) for free. A Hawaiian Airlines Carry-on should not exceed the following size and weight restrictions – 45” (22 x 14 x 9 in) or 115 cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm) including handles and wheels.
- What is the baggage allowance for Hawaiian Airlines?
- In Hawaiian Airlines, all checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 50 pounds (23 kg) and max linear dimensions of 62 inches (157 cm).
- How do you get free bags on Hawaiian Airlines?
- Primary Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard cardholders will enjoy a free first-checked bag on Hawaiian Airlines-operated flights. This perk can be added to any Pualani member baggage allowance (3 bags free) and is only eligible on flights purchased with a credit card.
- Does Hawaiian Airlines serve food?
- Yes. Hawaiian Airlines takes in-flight meals to a whole new level thanks to award-winning executive chefs. However, due to the pandemic, food availability may be limited.
- Can you bring snacks to Hawaiian Airlines?
- On a Hawaiian Airlines flight, you can bring whatever you want to eat on the plane, including hot food from the airport. It’s food items you can’t bring into the US that you must throw out on the plane. Therefore, fruit, vegetables, and meats are fine, as long as you eat them on the plane before arrival in the USA.
- How early can you check in at Hawaiian Airlines?
- You may check-in for your Hawaiian Airlines flight at the airport ticket counter from 30 minutes to 4 hours before the scheduled departure time (depending on your departure city and destination) and receive a printed boarding pass.
- Are meals free on Hawaiian Airlines?
- Meals are complimentary on North America, South Pacific, and Asian routes in Hawaiian Airlines.
- What is Hawaiian airlines’ first-class baggage allowance?
- If you’re traveling first class or international route on a Hawaiian Airlines flight, then your first 2 checked bags are free. Additionally, you can bring a free carry-on bag onboard as well, provided it is under the Hawaiian Airlines carry-on policy.
- What is a 62 linear inch suitcase?
- The term “linear inches” simply means adding the height, width, and depth together. In the case of airline bags, it will include any handles or wheels your bag may have.
- Can you bring a lei home from Hawaii?
- Usually, yes, you can take a lei home from Hawaii. However, be sure to ask the lei maker if there are any citrus plant parts incorporated in the lei. Citrus flowers, leaves or other parts of any citrus plant are not allowed on Hawaii Airlines flights.