We listed down the 10 best travel backpacks for men and women. Also, we selected the best-in-class for men, women, and the best budget-friendly pick below:
When you frequently travel, having a reliable backpack is simply a must. You need one bag that can provide you with comfort and flexibility on your travels. At the same time, the best travel backpacks must be able to store and protect all of your belongings.
- What should you look for in travel backpacks?
- 1. Osprey Farpoint 40 Men’s Travel Backpack
- 2. Eagle Creek Global Companion Women’s Ergonomic Travel Backpack
- 3. Matein Travel Laptop Backpack
- 4. The North Face Vault Backpack
- 5. Osprey Porter 46 Travel Backpack (2020 Version)
- 6. Nomatic Travel pack
- 7. Herschel Little America Laptop Backpack
- 8. Dinictis 40L Carry on Flight Approved Travel Laptop Backpack
- 9. Asenlin 40L Travel Backpack
- 10. Deuter Transit 65 Travel Backpack
- Things to Consider When Looking for the Best Travel Backpack
- Frequently Asked Questions About Travel Backpacks
- What is the best backpack for traveling on an airplane?
- What should I look for in a carry on travel backpack?
- What should I look for in hiking backpacks?
- Is it unprofessional to carry a backpack?
- How big of a backpack do I need for 2 weeks?
- What are the most durable backpacks?
- How do I keep my travel backpack organized?
- Can you use a regular backpack for hiking?
- Other Best Travel Gear Product Reviews
What should you look for in travel backpacks?
Before you buy a travel backpack, you first have to determine how you are planning to use the bag. Is it for hiking, backpacking, or just for daily commutes? Do you want it to be a carry-on bag or you prefer a bigger one? The right features will depend on your answer to these questions.
In general, many people prefer the following features on their travel backpacks:
- Carry on size
- Comfortable to carry
- Well padded
- With a compartment that offers easy access to important items
- High-quality materials like a strong fabric and durable zippers
1. Osprey Farpoint 40 Men’s Travel Backpack
The Osprey Farpoint 40 can definitely be called the best travel backpack for men. The price is decent and falls in the mid-range category. With its carry-on size, it is perfect for digital nomads who want to travel light. It is available in three colors: volcanic grey, black, and jasper red.
It is a travel backpack that can double as a hiking backpack. It is also designed to help the user feel more comfortable. Its suspension system design aims to support the back of the user. There is a sternum strap that you can adjust as needed and a hip belt that you can use to distribute the weight on your back. You will also appreciate the padded hand grabs on the top and on the sides of the bag.
The main fabric material used is 210-denier ripstop nylon, which is water-resistant but not waterproof. This type of nylon is strong and does not rip easily.
Aside from using durable fabric, the bag uses high-quality YKK lockable zippers. Osprey backpacks are very famous for their durability.
The bag has three compartments. There is one small compartment at the top portion of the bag for stuff that you want to access very quickly. Next is the front compartment where you can find the laptop sleeve. This portion is where you might put important items like your passport, gadgets, chargers, and other documents. A 15” laptop can easily fit here.
The main compartment of this carry-on travel backpack is mainly empty save for the compression straps and a small mesh pocket. It is spacious enough to store clothes, jackets, shoes, hiking sandals, and even travel gear and accessories.
- The size dimensions meet carry-on restrictions
- There is plenty of space for all your belongings
- With lockable zippers on the main compartment
- Comfortable to wear even in long distances
- With TSA-friendly zippers
- The hip belt can be tucked away
- It is not waterproof
- No lockable zippers on the top compartment
- The mesh water bottle pockets are not easy to access
- If you want to use it as a duffle bag, you need to purchase a separate shoulder strap
- Large, lockable U-zip duffel-style access to main compartment - 40L total volume
- Meets carry-on size restrictions for most airlines (Size Medium/Large: 21H X 14W X 9D inches)
- Lockable zipper access to padded laptop & tablet sleeve (fits up to most 15" laptops)
- Stowaway backpanel, shoulder straps and hipbelt with zippered rear flap for protection
- Two front mesh waterbottle pocket
This travel bag is definitely a good buy. It is perfect for travelers looking to save on flight costs by only bringing a carry-on backpack instead of a suitcase. Aside from saving money, you can also save time when you have no checked bags while flying.
The bag is comfortable to carry on your shoulder even for a long time. If you are using this bag for hiking, you might need to buy a rain cover to protect your clothes or gadgets since the bag is not waterproof. Aside from that, trust that this bag can endure outdoor environments.
It is a quality travel bag with really functional features and an amazing suspension system, all at a decent price point.
Definitely our top pick in the list of the best travel backpacks you can buy.
2. Eagle Creek Global Companion Women’s Ergonomic Travel Backpack
The Eagle Creek Global Companion Women’s Travel Backpack is perfect for women who embrace the life of adventure. It is specially designed to fit a woman’s body so it offers appropriate ergonomic support to the back and is very comfortable to carry. This bag can take digital nomads anywhere as it is light, comfortable, and very reliable.
It was designed to fit a woman’s body so you can expect it to be very comfortable to carry with padded backstraps, padded back panels, and a padded hip belt. You will also notice that the shoulder straps of this backpack are narrower than most average hiking backpacks. You can find grab handles on the top, sides, and even bottom part of the bag.
The brand uses a Bi-Tech™ fabric bottom that is designed to resist weather and abrasion.
The materials used are weatherproof. There is even a built-in rainfly attached at the bottom that you can use whenever there is a heavy downpour. Note that this backpack uses the brand’s own zippers instead of YKK zippers.
The bag opens like a suitcase and both sides have mesh coverings to allow users to see their stuff at a glance. There is a separate shoe compartment at the bottom of the bag where you can store your extra footwear like shoes or sandals. The laptop and tablet compartment can hold gadgets as big as 17 inches. You can access this through a separate zipper opening from outside of the pack.
Since it is to be used by women, the bag has lots of pockets. Outside, you can find two mesh pockets perfect to securely hold your water bottle, flashlight, or umbrella. There is a huge mesh pocket in front in addition to two zippered front pockets.
- Very sturdy
- You can find a safety whistle in the sternum strap
- With lockable zippers
- With adjustable side compression straps
- Light and comfortable to carry
- Comes with a rain cover
- You can not hide the padded hip belt since they are not removable
- The rainfly is not detachable
- GLOBAL COMPANION 65L - Ensure comfort with adjustable suspension, ample pockets for organization and stay dry with weatherproof material & a tuck-away rainfly; Backpack Dimensions: 13.25 x 26 x 12.25 in | 5 lbs 2 oz
- MADE FOR ADVENTURE - Shoulder straps, back panel and hip belt are designed ergonomically for maximum comfort with padding and moisture wicking to reduce sweat
- ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION - Easy-to-use adjustable suspension for improved comfort and a reduced feeling of weight; use the simple hook and loop closure on the back panel to open the flaps and adjust up or down; Torso Size: 16-21 in
- EASY TO ADJUST - Quick adjustable torso length is ideal in this unisex pack so that it can be shared within a household or adjusted mid-journey to split the carrying duties; Torso Size: 16-21 in
- NO MATTER WHAT WARRANTY - Eagle Creek's Lifetime Warranty, plus the added insurance of repair or replacement due to product failure during the product lifetime, regardless of the cause
For women, it is the best travel backpack that you can use when you need to travel long distances. It fits a carry-on size so no need to worry if you do not want to check in any luggage at the airport. The front mesh pocket is deep and huge, so it is perfect to hold items that are still wet while you wait for them to dry.
Although there are plenty of pockets, you still need some packing cubes if you want to pack in a more organized manner. We love the separate shoe compartment as it keeps away dirt from the rest of your stuff. Digital nomads will also appreciate that this bag offers easy and separate access to the laptop compartment.
3. Matein Travel Laptop Backpack
The Matein Travel Laptop Backpack offers the best value for your money. It has an anti-theft back pocket, an external USB port, and multiple compartments. It is very spacious and can fit a lot of stuff inside.
Clearly made for travel, the design prioritizes space and compartments. It looks stylish with tawny brown color and metal zippers. It has comfortable sturdy handles, hanging clasps, and adjustable straps.
The bag is also designed to provide relief to users with its multi-panel airflow system. Both the shoulder straps and the back of the bag have soft paddings.
It also comes with a luggage strap that you can use to securely put the backpack on top of a luggage tube handle.
It is made of high-density and water-repellent polyester. This type of fabric does not easily get wet so it is perfect for outdoor outings.
This carry-on travel backpack is durable and multi-functional. The material used is of high quality, something that is definitely long-lasting.
It has a main compartment big enough to store all of your belongings like clothes, books, binders, cameras, etc. There is a separate laptop compartment that can comfortably fit a 15-inch notebook computer. Finally, there is a front organizer compartment that you can use to store small items like your phone, wallet, pens, keys, or even your passport.
This bag has many pockets. One is an anti-theft pocket located on the back where you can hide your most valuable belongings. There are also two side elastic pockets perfect for water bottles and umbrellas.
Hassle-free charging is possible because the bag has an external USB port. All you need to do is connect your power bank to the external charging port and charge your phone as you go.
- Very comfortable
- The fabric material used is water repellent
- It is light for its size
- There is an external USB charging port for convenient charging
- The bag is not 100% waterproof
- The USB port has no cover
- ★LOTS OF STORAGE SPACE&POCKETS: One separate laptop compartment hold 15.6 Inch Laptop as well as 15 Inch,14 Inch and 13 Inch Laptop. One spacious packing compartment roomy for daily necessities,tech electronics accessories. Front compartment with many pockets, pen pockets and key fob hook, makes your item organized and easier to find
- ★COMFY&STURDY: Comfortable soft padded back design with thick but soft multi-panel ventilated padding, gives you maximum back support. Breathable and adjustable shoulder straps relieve the stress of shoulder. Foam padded top handle for a long time carry on
- ★FUNCTIONAL&SAFE: A luggage strap allows backpack fit on luggage/suitcase, slide over the luggage upright handle tube for easier carrying. With a hidden anti theft pocket on the back protect your valuable items from thieves. Well made for international airplane travel and day trip as a travel gift for men
- ★USB PORT DESIGN: With built in USB charger outside and built in charging cable inside,this usb backpack offers you a more convenient way to charge your phone while walking. It's a great tech gift for him from wife, daughter and son. Please noted that this backpack doesn't power itself, usb charging port only offers an easy access to charge
- ★DURABLE MATERIAL&SOLID: Made of Water Resistant and Durable Polyester Fabric with metal zippers. Ensure a secure & long-lasting usage everyday & weekend.Serve you well as professional office work bag,slim USB charging bagpack,college high school big students backpacks for boys,girls,teens
The best travel backpack with the most affordable price. We love everything about the Matein Travel laptop Backpack, especially its multiple compartments that helps users pack in a more organized manner. The pockets are very handy and this makes everything easier to locate inside the bag.The laptop compartment is adequately supported by soft paddings and there is also a laptop sleeve provided to help protect your gadgets while you are traveling..
We find the size to be just right and perfect as a carry on travel backpack. The luggage strap is a plus because it lets you easily slide the bag over the tube handle of your suitcase, eliminating the need for you to carry it on your back. We recommend this backpack to those looking for a budget-friendly item with great features and impressive performance.
4. The North Face Vault Backpack
The North Face Vault Backpack is the perfect backpack for quick outings and even daily commutes. It features an organized compartment with a 15” laptop sleeve and internal pockets to hold all your belongings.
The brand boasts of its FlexVent suspension system that makes this one bag very comfortable for the user. The shoulder straps are injection-molded, padded, and flexible. Both sides of the bag are equipped with pockets that are made of mesh, which you can conveniently use to store your water bottle or umbrella.
It is made of 600D Polyester Emboss, 600D Polyester Print, 300D Heather Polyester. This means that the bag is easy to clean and wash. It is also stain-resistant.
The brand is known for its durability. This backpack is not water-proof but is water-resistant. It is important to note that the fabric material used is polyester. It is not the strongest material but sturdy enough to make the bag last for years with proper care.
The main compartment is large enough to carry books, clothes, or other stuff that you need for a day or two. Within the main compartment, you can find a separate laptop sleeve that can hold a 15” laptop. This compartment is padded, which gives more protection to your gadget and belongings.
The bag also has a smaller front compartment. This has internal pockets that you can definitely use to better organize your stuff. You will notice that it has a pen organizer and lots of mini pockets for your phones, tablets, or small notebooks.
- It is affordable and practical
- The bag is not too heavy
- The fabric can be cleaned easily
- It is available in various colors
- The laptop compartment is big enough
- There are two side pockets made of mesh
- It has a sternum strap
- The bag is not waterproof
- It is top loading
- The fabric is sturdy enough but not the most durable
- VAULT CLASSIC. We've upgraded the much-loved Vault pack with a more modern aesthetic, water-repellent finish, the ability to stand unsupported and a coveted endorsement from the American Chiropractic Association.
- FLEX VENT TECHNOLOGY. The FlexVent suspension system features a flexible yoke built from custom injection-molded and flexible shoulder straps, a padded mesh back panel and a breathable lumbar panel for comfortable, ventilated support.
- ORGANIZED DESIGN. A front compartment simplifies organization while maintaining essential features for storage with secure-zip pockets, a tablet sleeve and a key fob. On the outside, it has two water bottle pockets and a daisy chain for added lash points.
- CAMPUS READY. A huge main compartment holds all your books for a day on campus and contains a padded laptop sleeve to protect your computer from bumps and falls. Top handles allow for easy grabbing, and a sternum strap provides extra support.
- TECH SPECS. Dimensions: 11" x 8.5" x 18" (27.9cm x 21.6cm x 45.7cm). Laptop Sleeve: 11.5" x 11" (29.2cm x 27.9cm). Volume: 26 Liters. Fabric: 600D recycled polyester with non-PFC durable water-repellent finish.
The NorthFace Vault Backpack is practical and affordable. It is not the best in the travel backpacks category but definitely good enough to use on a daily basis. The size is just right, not too small and not too big. The shoulder straps are particularly comfortable and perfect for everyday use. We also liked that the back panel is made of breathable mesh, which does not keep bad smell and odor.
When you travel, the presence of side pockets is very convenient for storing water bottles. However, note that it can be a hassle to get your stuff because it is top loading. The front compartment makes up for it as the user has a designated compartment for important stuff like phones and wallets.
5. Osprey Porter 46 Travel Backpack (2020 Version)
The Osprey Porter 46 Travel Backpack is one of the best travel backpacks that you can use when you are going on a long trip. It is big and may look bulky when full but it has enough room to store everything that you want to carry in one go.
The Porter 46 is a big backpack. Its capacity is at 46 liters and definitely has room for a lot of stuff. It is equipped with StraightJacket Protection technology, wherein its compression straps have padded sidewalls that aim to protect your belongings and at the same time compresses the bag when not fully stuffed.
All of its outside grab handles are also padded, which is definitely a good addition to lessen the strain on the hands of the user. At 3.4 pounds, the weight is noticeable especially if you intend to carry the bag on your back for a long time.
It is made of nylon fabric. Although this is a strong material, note that nylon can also restrict the airflow.
This backpack is definitely sturdy. Even secondhand or used Osprey travel backpacks can be popular searches and this is because the brand is known for its durability. The brand offers warranty as well.
There is a zippered top pocket that is designed to let you get easy access to your stuff. There is a separate laptop and tablet sleeve that you can open or close with a zipper. The main compartment has a U-Zip opening, designed to make it easy for users to put things or unload stuff.
- Perfect for long travels as the bag has a huge capacity
- Easy to pack and unpack because of the huge U-Zip opening on the main compartment
- Lots of compartments to organize your stuff
- The separate zippered laptop sleeve is a bonus as you can use it on its own
- It is a bit heavy
- Might not be very comfortable to carry especially for those with smaller frames
- There is no external side pocket to carry your water bottle
- The shoulder strap needs to be purchased separately
- Straightjacket compression with padded wings and lower panel secures and protects clothing and gear
- Stowaway shoulder harness and hip belt with adjustable sternum strap and whistle buckle,
- Protected rear panel lockable zip laptop/tablet sleeve for quick access at security or while traveling
- Front panel organization pocket for easy access to small travel items; storable belt with foam padding and 38 millimeter webbing
- D-ring attachments for adding a shoulder strap (sold separately)
The Osprey 46 Travel Backpack is a good buy for those who need a spacious bag to carry all their stuff. Honestly, we think that it can function as a duffle bag. Just use the stowable hipbelt and you can carry it like a normal duffle bag. There are lots of storage options as the bag has many compartments. All in all, we believe that it functions great for long travels.
About its size, it will fit in an overhead bin in most airlines as long as it is not overstuffed. However, the bag on itself already weighs 3.4 pounds so you might need to remember that before you check in.
6. Nomatic Travel pack
The Nomatic Travel Pack is a sleek and functional bag. It is a unisex travel backpack perfect for people on the move who want to travel professionally in style. It is a TSA-friendly backpack so no hassles whenever you need to pass by airport security.
The bag has a clamshell opening designed to make packing very easy and convenient. When needed, you can expand the bag to make room for more staff with its full perimeter expansion that adds 10 liters to its regular 20L capacity. The shape of this backpack is similar to a box, making it possible for the bag to stand up on its own without support.
It has a strap designed to transform the bag from a travel backpack to a duffle bag or a briefcase carry. The roller bag sleeve lets users easily mount the backpack on top of a luggage bag.
The Nomatic Travel Pack is made of high-quality waterproof materials. However, the outside is made of tarpaulin material, which is prone to marks and scratches.
The bag is built to withstand everyday use. The zippers are strong as well
The Nomatic Travel Pack’s main compartment opens like a normal travel suitcase, which makes packing and unpacking very easy. There are four mesh pockets inside the main compartment that you can use to hold and organize your stuff. It also has a separate shoe compartment that can hold up to two pairs of shoes. Other features of the bag include RFID safe pocket storage, magnetic water bottle pockets, and a roller bag sleeve.
- Just the right size to fit an overhead bin
- The TSA friendly laptop sleeve allows you to leave the laptop inside the bag during airport security checks
- It has built-in cord pass throughs that keeps gadgets well-organized
- Water bottle pockets are magnetic
- The sternum strap is adjustable and detachable
- It is quite expensive for
- The bag is only available in one color
- The sunglass case can take a lot of room space inside
- The laptop sleeve does not use YKK zippers
- STRONG: The Nomatic Backpack is the most functional backpack ever. It is the perfect everyday bag. The exterior is strong, waterproof, has YKK zippers, and made of material that will last forever.
- ACCESS: Full perimeter zipper gives you access from all sides! You have a full view the entire interior of the bag for better visibility and packing.
- POCKETS: 20 pockets all designed with purpose! Pockets include quick access fleece pocket, multiple mesh elastic pockets, RFID lockable security pocket, multiple mesh zipper pockets, notebook pocket, and a hidden pocket for any important items. Basically, whatever you’re carrying, this bag has a spot for it.
- ACCESSORIES: This backpack has everything you want and more. Cord pass through holes are in each compartment to make charging technology seamless. The water bottle pocket is magnetic. It expands when in use, and snaps shut when not. There is also a retractable key leash as well as reflective ink on the front and back of the bag.
The Nomatic Travel Pack is innovative and functional, although it lacks versatility in color. However, we like the fact that it can easily be used as a briefcase carry when you are going to the office or in a business meeting. This makes it a versatile option in this travel backpacks list. There are two magnetic water bottle pockets at the side which you can conveniently snap back when not in use.
We recommend this bag when you need to carry gadgets in your travels as it has built-in cord pass throughs. The bag also comes with packing cubes, which is again great for organizing your items. All in all, this bag is a good buy for travel nomads who need to attend business meetings every now and then.
7. Herschel Little America Laptop Backpack
The Herschel Little America Laptop Backpack is the best backpack for those who want to travel light and in style. It is not the best bag for hiking but sturdy enough to be used for most of your travel adventures. It is a unisex bag available in several color combinations.
The weight of the bag is very light at just 2.3 pounds and fits a carry on size. It has padded shoulder straps that make the bag easy and comfortable to carry. It also has an air mesh back padding for better ventilation. This lets users minimize the sweating on the back panel area. The backpack is designed to be opened and closed with magnetic buckles.
The bag is mainly made of polyester fabric.
Not the most durable in the travel backpacks list and in the market but still sturdy enough to last for years. Herschel brand offers lifetime warranty, but it does not cover damages from daily wear and tear.
The main compartment is top-loading and spacious. You can fit a lot of items inside like your travel gear, clothes, camera, and toiletries. The laptop compartment is well padded and lined with fleece. You will have no trouble fitting a 15” laptop. This one bag also has a nice exterior zippered pocket in front with a hidden opening. There is a keychain holder inside and an earphone hole that connects to a phone pocket.
- With padded shoulder straps for a comfortable travel
- A lightweight backpack
- The padded laptop compartment does not reach the bottom part of the bag
- With breathable air mesh back padding
- Polyester fabric is resistant to scratches
- With padded back panel
- The bag can sit upright on its own
- Not front loading
- The bag does not provide enough organization options for the user
- Polyester fabric is not the most durable material
- There is only one zipper for the main compartment
- No sternum strap
- No external pocket for water bottles
- HERSCHEL COLLECTION: Click on our brand logo at the top of the page to explore the full collection from Herschel Supply.
- DURABLE DESIGN: A timeless silhouette inspired by the classic mountaineering style. Sturdy polyester and nylon fabric, made for all adventures. Signature striped liner, drawcord closure and magnet-fastened straps with metal pin buckles. Finished with Herschel’s classic woven label. Spacious, versatile and tech-friendly, the Herschel Little America is suited for both your everyday commutes and your airplane carry-ons.
- MEN/WOMEN/UNISEX: The Herschel Little America Backpack was made for everyone. Use it for your commute, the school week, a business trip, or a weekend adventure.
- 25L CAPACITY: 19.25” high and 11. 25” wide. From your passport to your heavy textbooks, there’s plenty of space to fit everything you need for school, work or travel.
- COMFORTABLE CARRYING: Padded, contoured shoulder straps and breathable air mesh back padding, designed for a more supportive and comfortable commute to work or school. The Herschel Little America also makes for the perfect airplane carry-on.
The Herschel Little America Laptop Backpack looks very modern and stylish even with its simple design. This one functions best as a day pack, perfect for a long-weekend adventure. We believe this is one of the best travel backpacks for women and men who will go only on short trips or only for simple hikings. It is comfortable enough to carry around but will not give you the features that you can find in the best travel bags for women.
What we do not like aside from it not being front loading is that the bag has very few pockets. So if you want to pack neatly and stay organized, make sure to use packing cubes in different sizes. Take note that if you overstuff, it may also be hard for you to fit or close the magnetic strap fasteners in place.
8. Dinictis 40L Carry on Flight Approved Travel Laptop Backpack
The Dinictis 40L Carry on Flight Approved Travel Backpack is huge and very spacious. You can pack pretty much everything that you might be needing for a week-long trip, whether you are going for business or for leisure. It is lightweight with a convenient front pocket and comfortable grab handles.
The backpack is designed for convenient travel. The hidden shoulder strap can be used to carry the bag on your back regularly or you can adjust it if you want to lift it like a duffel.
The Dinictis 40L is a big traveling backpack and thus expect the size to be at the maximum allowable dimensions for carry on bags. However, don’t worry because it will fit in the overhead bin as long as it is not overstuffed.
This is available in only four colors: grey, dark grey, black, and blue.
The fabric material is 100% polyester. It is both scratch resistant and water resistant. You don’t need to worry about your stuff getting wet from rain or water splashes.
It uses quality metal zippers under the same brand. It can endure international backpacking trips. Handles are sturdy and shoulder straps are padded
It has a versatile front pocket good for holding small items like phones, keys, pens, notebooks, eye glasses, hand sanitizers, etc. There is a dedicated laptop and tablet compartment, protected by sponge pads and a fleece lining. The main compartment houses another smaller compartment with a mesh cover.
- The shoulder strap is hidden or concealed
- Very affordable price
- Can be put in the overhead bin or under the airplane seat
- Compression straps are easy to adjust
- It is huge and bulky to look at
- The laptop compartment is at the front, not at the back
- When full, the water bottle may not fit in the designated pocket
- No hip belt
- Ample Space and Reasonable Design: Backpack size: 19.6*13.8*9.8 inches, which fits the maximum size allowed by the flight, like a suitcase backpack easy to carry on; capacity: 40 liters; suitable for business trips,carry-on backpack, international travel, weekend trips, camping, hiking, overnight trips .
- Convenient Travel: The hidden shoulder strap makes the backpack can be carried or lifted, making it easy to carry around; Luggage trolley straps provides easy travel; The main handle and side handles are designed to lift the backpack from multiple angles.
- Easy to Organize: Computer compartment with protective foam pad holds up to a 17 inch laptop. There is a wet pocket in the main compartment, which can prevent toiletries for travel, or some items that need to be waterproof.
- Strong and Durable: The backpack features explosion-proof SBS zippers, high-density scratch-resistant and water-repellent polyester fabric that reinforces key points to provide a more durable backpack.
- Comfortable: Thickened sponge handles and shoulder straps provide you with more comfort when you are carrying and gripping the bag; The chest strap relieves shoulder pressure for weight bearing.
It is best to use this bag when you are going for a trip and you need to pack a lot of items. The main advantage of the Dinictis 40L is its spacious compartments and the fact that it still qualifies as a carry on bag. Keep in mind that if you plan to use this bag for hiking, make sure to secure your stuff by bringing a rain cover.
9. Asenlin 40L Travel Backpack
The Asenlin 40L Travel Backpack is a flight approved carry-on luggage with a large capacity. It can store clothes good for 5 days, your laptop and tablets, footwear, books, cameras, and other travel essentials. It can be used as an overnight backpack, a day pack, or even as a school bag.
The Asenlin 40L is another backpack that can easily transform into a duffel handbag. The shoulder strap located at the back panel can be tucked and hidden and instead, you can use the grab handles to carry it. There is an adjustable sternum strap that promotes balance and stability.
The size of this backpack meets airline requirements and thus can be easily placed in the aircraft as your carry-on bag. You can use this for your international trips or as a daily commute bag.
It is made of high quality polyester cloth.
Polyester is a strong fabric material and is great for hiking because it repels water and moisture. This bag is also equipped with exterior compression straps that help reduce the stress on the zippers. The brand also specifies that the zippers are safe and explosion-proof.
The Asenlin 40L Travel Backpack is designed for people who love being organized. The main compartment is spacious enough to hold three custom-made storage bags of different sizes (small, medium, and large). These packing cubes help prevent clothes from getting wrinkly. You can also use these to separately store your undergarments or footwear.
In addition, there is a small front pocket that can hold small notebooks or travel documents. On the side, you can find a space to put your water cup or your umbrella. The laptop compartment inside the bag is big enough to hold and support a 17-inch laptop. This portion can be locked or secured by a designated safety strip.
- It looks stylish and not bulky despite its size
- Comes with packing cubes
- With a big padded laptop compartment
- Easy to clean and dry
- Not the most comfortable straps
- No RFID function yet
- No USB outlet
- Carry and Travel: The large backpack carries 3 custom-made storage bags, which can improve your travel quality. The overall size meets the size standards of the aircraft, and the portable zipper opening facilitates you to quickly pass the airport security check.It has built-in elastic bands to keep your clothes from falling out.
- Size and Material: The travel backpack dimensions 18.5 * 12.5 * 9.5 inches and comes with a special pocket that can hold a 17inch laptop.The backpack can be fixed on the trunk pole and can also be carried by hand; it uses water-resistant high quality polyester Oxford cloth material and explosion-proof zipper.
- Application: travel, carry-on, weekend travel, Cross-border tourism, overnight, Move out of old house, suitcase, the shrink strap with it is convenient for you to compress without carrying luggage, into a smaller backpack.
- Structure: main duffel bag 3 storage bags，laptop special bag front small bag water bottle / umbrella bag mouth hidden shoulder strap design front panel night travel reflective safety strip.（NOTE: There is a zipper on the shoulder strap, which can be used to put away or take out the shoulder strap by opening the zipper.）
- Upgrade and Reinforcement: This model has been upgraded many times. We have used multiple materials for multiple tests to ensure that the quality is strong. We have strengthened the parts that are easy to crack and adjusted the center of gravity in size.Make it more portable for a long time, and refer to the actual experience in the design of details to optimize, reliable and ensure long-term use.
We believe that this can be the best 40L backpack for travel for its price point. Buy this if you want an affordable but sturdy backpack for your weekend getaways. As long as you do not overstuff, the bag will surely last for many years.
For us, the best feature of the Asenlin 40L is its organizational system design. It is perfect for people who like to keep their clothes wrinkle free as much as possible. The packing cubes are definitely great additions to the features of the bag. When ordering, make sure to select the option that includes the three storage bags.
10. Deuter Transit 65 Travel Backpack
The Deuter Transit 65 Travel Backpack is a large capacity backpack. It is multi-functional and great for backpacking adventures locally and abroad. It has a removable daypack which makes it a two-in-one luggage bag that offers much flexibility to the user. Without the dayback, this bag can still hold 65 liters.
The bag has an impressive and a functional suspension system that offers support on the back and shoulders of the user. The back panel, shoulder straps, as well as the hip belt are all padded to improve user comfort. If you wish, you can conveniently carry the Deuter Transit 65 over your shoulders by simply adjusting the straps.
It is made of durable nylon that does not rip easily and can stand harsh weather elements.
The frame material of the bag is made of aluminum and you can notice that everything is well-built. The ripstop nylon is a good fabric material and has proven to be strong and sturdy.
The main compartment is front-loading and has a U-shape access zip. The major advantage of this opening style is that it can be a lot easier for users to put things in an organized manner. It also has a huge space for clothes and other items like camera, tripod, flashlight, and others. To secure the contents of your bag, you can use the compression straps inside the compartment.
The bag also has a separate compartment at the bottom part where you can store your shoes, sandals, or toiletries. The detachable padded daypack has a capacity of at most 13 liters. You can find this handy on days when you need just a small backpack for a quick activity.
- With padded grab handles
- Has a huge capacity and ample room space
- The adjustable straps are of high-quality and work really well
- With concealable shoulder straps and hipbelt
- With a detachable daypack
- No laptop compartment
- The removable daypack is not as strong as the main bag
- Not suitable as a carry on bag because the size exceeds the standards
- The bag is quite heavy
- U-shaped zip opens up completely for full access to the main compartment
- Concealable back system
- Separate bottom compartment for shoes, sleeping bag etc
- Luggage stabilising straps
- Two grab handles
The detachable daypack is definitely the biggest advantage of the Deuter Transit 65. Just leave the main bag on your hotel or inside your camping tent and bring the daypack for your getaway.
Another feature that we like from this backpack is its huge capacity. It is the perfect backpack that opens like a suitcase and can accommodate several packing cubes inside for a more organized travel.
There is no laptop compartment inside the bag so digital nomads need to take that into consideration. If you don’t bring laptops when you travel, then this should be a non-issue.
Things to Consider When Looking for the Best Travel Backpack
There are tons of travel backpacks available in the market. Some are cheap while others can be very expensive. It is important to consider the following features first before clicking that buy now option on the website.
We believe that the best travel backpacks fit a carry on size. Nothing beats the convenience this offers when you travel in planes as there’s no need to fall in line to check in your luggage before the flight. You also don’t have to wait for the plane to disembark the luggages. In addition, you can also save a lot of airplane money when your backpack can be put in an overhead bin. Before you buy, make sure to check the dimensions of the product and see if it satisfies the requirements of most airlines.
If you are a backpacker who will travel for a long time with no need for frequent flying, then you may also consider bigger backpacks for travel. The right size for you will depend on the nature of your adventure.
The good thing about competition is that it pushes brands to innovate and improve their design. Now, you no longer need to settle for a bag that is not comfortable to your back and shoulder. Look for backpacks with a hip belt and sternum straps that will allow you to balance or even out the load you carry. Shoulder straps must be padded and the back portion should be designed to get as much ventilation as possible.
Usually, travel backpacks have two or three compartments. The main compartment should have enough space to store the things you want to carry. Since most compartments are empty spaces, you can use packing cubes to organize your items. The front compartment is the part where you can normally find mini pockets for your notebooks, travel documents, pens, and other small stuff.
Sometimes, a small pocket can make a world of difference. For instance, a water bottle pocket at the side of the bag will give you convenience when hiking. Before you buy, you need to consider the placement of the pockets.
You have two options to choose from: backpacks that open at the top and backpacks that open at the front.
We recommend front-loading backpacks because they open like suitcases. This means that you pack, organize, and unpack your items easily. Most front-loading backpacks also have compression straps that help keep the items in place.
The most common fabric materials used in traveling backpacks are nylon and polyester.
Nylon is preferred simply because it is stronger and more durable. The fabric is also water resistant. Ripstop nylon is famous for its resistance to tearing.
Polyester. Some traveling backpacks use polyester cloth even though it is not as strong as nylon. Advantages include being lightweight and sturdy at the same time. It also resists scratches and wrinkles.
Expensive does not always mean quality. We believe that you can find impressive backpacks at different price points. Just set a budget that you can afford and do enough research before you buy one.
Frequently Asked Questions About Travel Backpacks
What is the best backpack for traveling on an airplane?
Our top three recommendations are the following:
- Osprey Farpoint 40 Men’s Travel Backpack
- Eagle Creek Global Companion Women’s Ergonomic Travel Backpack
- Matein Travel Laptop Backpack
What should I look for in a carry on travel backpack?
Make sure to check the following features:
- A front-loading main compartment
- Padded and secure laptop compartment
- Zippers that are lockable and of high quality
- Lightweight and comfortable
- With anti-theft security features
- Water resistance
What should I look for in hiking backpacks?
When you go hiking, expect that a lot can happen outdoors. The weather can be unpredictable and you will definitely be exposed to dust, dirt, and mud. The best hiking backpacks should be very durable and at the very least water resistant. If your hiking bag is not waterproof, buy a separate rain cover and always bring it with you to make sure that your clothes and gadgets would not get wet.
Good hiking backpacks should have the following features:
- An impressive suspension system
- Padded shoulder straps, back panel, hip belt, and grab handles
- A mesh back for better airflow
- Mesh pockets to conveniently store water bottle
- A rain cover
- A expandable chest strap with emergency whistle
- Reliable side compression straps
- Ample pockets and spacious compartments
Is it unprofessional to carry a backpack?
In our opinion, a business laptop backpack is perfectly acceptable to bring to work. In fact, you can find a lot of professionals going to the office with a backpack. It offers convenience and comfort, not to mention that you can bring extra clothes in case you want to hit the gym after office.
The important thing to make sure here is that the backpack matches your attire. As long as you are mindful of the color, style, and cleanliness of the bag, then you should not worry about it.
How big of a backpack do I need for 2 weeks?
If you are going on a backpacking trip for two weeks, the size of the backpack you need to bring depends on how much clothes and travel essentials you would want to bring. A 65L travel bag will fit your belongings just right. It can be heavy and bulky when fully stuffed, but it will be able to accommodate most of your travel gears and equipment.
Another consideration for this is if you are traveling on a plane and you prefer a bag that fits a carry on size. To be safe, use a backpack with a 40L or 45L capacity. Make sure to weigh the bag before going to the airport to avoid extra luggage fees or leaving some items behind.
What are the most durable backpacks?
The most durable backpack should be made of durable and high-quality materials. We recommend bags that use nylon cloth or high-quality polyester. You should also consider the quality of the zippers of the bag. If the product uses a YKK zipper, then you can be assured of the sturdiness and quality.
Another important feature is the padding, which should be present in different portions of the bag. Not only does the padding improve user comfort, but it also serves as an added layer of protection for your belongings.
How do I keep my travel backpack organized?
In order to stay organized when you travel, you need to maximize the use of pockets in your backpacks. However, when your backpack does not have enough compartments and pockets, you may need to use packing cubes. These are separate storage bags that are available in different sizes. Your clothes, gadgets, documents, and toiletries can be placed separately in these small bags.
Can you use a regular backpack for hiking?
The only time a regular backpack should be used for hiking is if the activity is an easy, day-trip hike. Otherwise, you need to look for hiking backpacks that can be strong enough to endure outdoor elements. Important features of good hiking backpacks include a good suspension system, a water resistant or waterproof fabric, reliable straps, and a good hip belt. You should buy a backpack that can improve your comfort as you will be moving for a long time.
Other Best Travel Gear Product Reviews
Bags and Luggage
- The Fastest Private Jet You Can Own
- Buying Guide to the 12 Best Backpacking Tents
- 10 Best Backpacking Sleeping Bags
- 10 Best Brands of Fishing Kayak with Motor
- 10 Best Inflatable Kayak in the Market
- 10 Best Pop Up Canopy Tents
- 10 Best 6 Person Tent Equipment