Best portable solar chargers have improved in the past five years as more and more people recognize the benefits of using one. But, with so many solar energy chargers out there, finding and buying the best can be a confusing decision.
So, let us help you with your decision with our recommended products based on extensive testing.
- 1. BigBlue 3 28W Solar Charger
- 2. BEARTWO 10000mAh Ultra-Compact
- 3. Hiluckey Solar Charger 25000mAh
- 4. Nekteck 21W Solar Charger
- 5. Anker 21W Portable Solar Charger 2-Port USB
- 6. ADDTOP Portable Solar Power Bank
- 7. OUTXE Wireless Solar PowerBank
- 8. Goal Zero Nomad 5 Solar Panel
- 9. X-DRAGON Solar Charger
- 10. FEELLE Solar PowerBank
- FAQs: Guide to Buying Solar Chargers
- See more of our best picks!
1. BigBlue 3 28W Solar Charger
Do you have a solar phone charger but it’s not enough to fully charge your phones? Well, here’s a new upgraded version of the BigBlue 28W. This solar charger/panel has excellent features.
Smart and Upgraded Version
This best-selling BigBlue is the smartest solar charger with its built-in ammeter. The ammeter is digital and provides information on amperage, charging speed, and voltage.
The 4 waterproof solar panels are foldable and provide a greater surface area for sun power harvesting. With a zippered pocket, you can secure your device while charging. The model has reinforced holes for hanging in the backpack or a tree.
Its PET polymer outer covering is water-resistant with an IPX4 rating. However, make sure to keep the USB ports away from water sources. These ports are not waterproof.
- Efficient and foldable solar panels
- Charge devices simultaneously due to multiple USB ports
- Decent and consistent power output even on cloudy days
- Compact and easy to store
- A bit heavy
- No built-in power bank
- 【Upgraded Triple USB-A Ports】Each maximum output is 5V/2.4A and total maximum current of 3 USB is at 5V/4.8A. BigBlue 28w solar charger allows you to charge multiple devices at once. It comes with smart charge technology which can recognize your device smartly then providing optimal charging speed vary with different devices. BigBlue ensure 100% safe charging with overcurrent, overheating and short-circuit protection.
- 【Higher Solar Conversion】Highly efficient SunPower solar panel convert up to 24% of solar power into free energy in enough sunlight, which is the most durable panels at present, standing up to elements and wear and tear better than conventional panels. This special PET polymer surface protects solar panel from occasional rain or wet fog and three ports are covered with rubber cover to protect them from dust or water damage.
- 【Portable Camping Solar Panel】BigBlue solar charger is a great option if you’re taking an extended camping trip or if you’re traveling somewhere with an unreliable power grid. With compact size (11.6 × 6.3× 1.3in folded) and lightweight (20.5 oz) design, it is portable and light enough to fit into any camping backpack or hiking daypack. It is also a must have for stashing in an emergency kit.
- 【Wide Compatibility】BigBlue USB solar charger offers a tiny power plant that can generate power for your phone (Android and Apple) and small electronics to keep them charged when the sun is out (Note: you need the extra original cable for Apple devices). Our solar phone charger can't store the electricity and can't charge the laptops and iPad Pro.
- 【Package & Support】You will get BigBlue 28W Solar Charger, 50cm USB-A to USB-C Cable, User Manual and friendly Customer Service. Note: Any cloud or cover may influence the charging speed. Although our solar charger with automatic restart function, we still suggest you to reopen the solar panels and replug your device if the charging is too slow.
The BigBlue upgraded version is absolutely amazing for its price. It’s efficient, portable, although it might be heavy for some. You get consistent power output and multiple ports for simultaneous charging.
2. BEARTWO 10000mAh Ultra-Compact
If you’re heading to the outdoors, bring a solar-powered battery such as this BearTwo in an ultra-compact size. With a 10000mAh capacity, you can enjoy your trekking, mountain climbing, or any other outdoor activities. Capture the moments with your phone and never worry about a low battery.
This device is compatible with USB charging gadgets and allows you to connect two different gadgets. The location of the ports is conveniently located on various sides of the solar power bank.
Lightweight but Powerful
Although the BearTwo has only one solar panel, it is powerful enough to fully charge your phone up to 4 (or maybe 5) times. The charging times depend on the capacity of your phone or gadgets.
The LED light has three modes. You don’t need to bring extra flashlights to see in the dark. This power bank has got you covered.
- Lightweight and compact
- Durable and waterproof
- Power bank included
- Can recharge a smartphone 4 times
- Inefficient solar charging
- Unreliable and inconsistent solar harvesting
- 【Compact & Portable Design】- One of the smallest and lightest solar charger on the market(only weighs7.4oz). Extra hanger included, easy to hang on your backpack, perfect for camping, hiking and various outdoor activities.
- 【Dual-USB Output】- Charge 2 devices simultaneously with max output up to 5V/2.1A, deliver fast charge. Only takes 4-5 hours to fully charge the battery(via 5V/2A charger), save your charging time than most other similar power banks.
- 【IP67 Waterproof】- Every USB port or micro USB port is covered by rubber cap, better protect battery from water; Reinforced corner makes it more tough and sturdy; Rugged surface to avoid slipping.
- 【Built in mini LED Flashlight】- with three modes available(Normal /SOS /Strobe), convenient to control with one button. SOS mode is specially designed for emergency use.
- 【Safety for Use】- Made of eco-friendly silicone rubber and ABS + PC material. CE, FCC, RoHS certified, reliable and durable. Kindly noted that it's comparatively slow to recharge the battery via solar power due to limited solar panel, please do not take solar as main power source. Please kindly contact us anytime when you meet trouble with our product !
BearTwo is lightweight but the portable solar panel is quite inefficient. The reviews on this product are not stellar but some who tested this product find it useful and effective. All we can say is manage your expectations.
3. Hiluckey Solar Charger 25000mAh
Hiluckey solar charger with 4 solar panels is the perfect partner for outdoor junkies. Its impressive capacity will charge your devices more than the standard.
This solar device has 25000 mAh and can recharge your gadgets up to 10 times. So, you can use the power bank without needing the nearest outlet to charge it.
Despite its bulky appearance, Hiluckey is quite portable. It has a strap allowing you to attach it to your backpack. This added portability makes it easy for hikers and trekkers to recharge the battery pack.
Hiluckey is waterproof, so a mere drop in shallow waters won’t damage it. Moreover, the ports have rubber coverings for added protection.
- Multiple and foldable solar panels
- Built-in Power bank and LED lights
- Recharging times of up to 10
- Highly compatible with most devices
- No quick charging system
- Bulky and a bit heavy
This solar panel charger is not the fastest on this list. But, its solar portable charger is durable, high-capacity, and reliable. You can fully charge your phone for a week’s worth of outdoor activities.
4. Nekteck 21W Solar Charger
Light packers will love this solar panel. It’s super lightweight with a durable and foldable design. Its IPX4 rating is a bonus, which means it’s waterproof and weatherproof.
High Converting Solar Panels
The Nekteck Solar collectors can convert power with up to a 24% rate. Considering its affordable price, this conversion rate is a good value. So, you can charge your phone faster in excellent sunlight conditions.
Smart IC chip
This chip optimizes power on each USB port. But, the output is dependent on the capacity of your phone. With the Smart IC, the solar panel delivers up to 2 amps on each USB.
Fast Charging Speed
Rated at 21 watts, Nekteck has a built-in fast charging speed. But, the solar recharging conditions must be excellent to maximize power output. Plus, this Nekteck solar panel still works even in shaded or diffused conditions, although not excellently.
- Highly durable material construction
- High-efficiency sun power conversion
- Super lightweight
- Fast charging system
- Weather Resistant
- No built-in power bank
- Poor charge recovery
- 【High-Efficieny】The high-efficiency of its three solar Monocrystalline panels cell is based on SunPower Maxeon technology, that allows the usb solar charger to reach 21%-24% of conversion efficiency while providing enough power (up to 2.0A max per port or 3.0 A max overall)
- 【Advanced Smart IC Chip Technology】 The Microchip of Nekteck solar phone charger support to detects the electronic devices plugged into the USB ports for fast charging two phones simultaneously under safe conditions as well as the prevention of overheating
- 【Portable and Foldable】The 6.3x 11.1x 1.06 inch (when folded ) small size and 17.3-ounce design that can easily squeeze in your backpack offers portability and simplicity, and the attachment hook makes the portable solar charger ideal for connecting to a backpack while you’re on the hiking or walking around town
- 【Dualable Design】The canvas surface and precision stitching withstand rugged for outdoor use and the PET polymer cover that guarantees IPX4 waterproof level protection will make the solar panel resistant to water and even dust
- 【Package】Nekteck 21W Portable Solar Charger, 2.6ft(80cm)Micro USB Cable, User Manual
This solar panel may have a poor charge recovery system during a cloudy interruption. But, it has a user-friendly and durable design. Nekteck is perfect for light packers because of its lightweight design.
5. Anker 21W Portable Solar Charger 2-Port USB
This Anker model recharges your smartphones even without an electric outlet. Among this list, Anker is one of the best solar panels with excellent performance. It has fast charging speed and great interruption recovery
Excellent Charging Speed
Anker solar phone charger is a powerhouse performer. It can charge multiple gadgets simultaneously through its 2 USB output ports. Equipped with a fast charging technology, you can charge devices in a matter of hours, probably up to 4 hours.
Charge Interruption Recovery
Unlike other solar chargers, this brand has excellent interruption recovery. Your device will automatically charge once the solar cells get sunlight exposure. No more manually reconnecting the wires to keep a cell phone charging.
Foldable and Portability
This model measures 11.1 x 6.3 x 1.3 inches when folded, which makes it portable. With stainless holes on the corners, you can attach it to your backpack while walking and trekking.
- Great charge interruption recovery
- Portable and lightweight
- Durable and foldable design
- Charge speed for multiple devices
- No battery pack
- Slightly inefficient
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 50 million+ powered by our leading technology
- Fast Charging Technology: PowerIQ delivers the charging speed up to 2.4 amps per port or 3 amps overall under direct sunlight. 21 watt SunPower solar array is 21.5-23.5% efficient, providing enough power to charge two devices simultaneously
- Incredibly Durable: Industrial-strength PET polymer faced solar panels sewn into a rugged polyester canvas offer weather-resistant outdoor durability
- Highly Portable: Compact size (11.1 × 6.3in folded or 26.4 × 11.1in opened) and stainless-steel eye-holes on each corner allow easy attachment to backpacks, trees, or tents. Lightweight and ultra-thin design make it ideal for long treks
- What You Get: Anker PowerPort Solar (21W 2-Port USB Solar Charger), 3ft Micro USB cable, welcome guide, our fan-favorite 18-month warranty and friendly customer service
Anker is a reliable, high-performing charger. It’s a direct solar recharging system, so you might need to buy a compatible solar battery pack for a more versatile product.
6. ADDTOP Portable Solar Power Bank
Wireless recharging is hassle-free and eliminates the use of wires. You can find this feature in the AddTop solar portable power bank.
Fastest Solar Charging Speed
In 30 hours, you can recharge the battery pack. Its four cells, of which three are foldable, are among the second efficient solar converting panels on this list.
AddTop has two USB ports that allow you to simultaneously charge different devices. Each port has a fast-charging system. It can fully recharge your phones from 0 to 100% for 2 to 3 hours.
Higher IP Rating
Its rating is IPX7. This means the battery pack won’t get damaged if you accidentally drop it in a shallow body of water. AddTop can survive being submerged up to 3 feet in a short period.
- Built-in LED lights
- Efficient solar converting cells
- Large power bank capacity
- up to 10 Average recharging times
- Completely waterproof
- On the heavy sides
- 25000mAh Massive Capacity: The high capacity solar panel charger enables to power up an iPhone 12 for 8 times, or a Samsung S21 for 6 times or a tablet for 3 times after once fully recharged. And it can provide power about 1 week.
- 4 Foldable Solar Panels: With 4 high-performance portable solar panels, the charging speed of battery charger is 4X faster than that of single panel. Besides, the foldable design makes it convenient to hang on your backpack when outdoors.
- 2.1A Power Delivery: This solar battery pack with dual 2.1A USB A output ports allows you to charge 2 devices simultaneously, reducing charging time. High power output design enables the portable solar charger to quickly charge your phone 0%-50% within 30 minutes.
- Outdoor Power Backup: The solar phone charger with bright flashlight in Standard-SOS-Strobe is reliable power resource for emergencies. The solar powered charger is a handy tool for camping, cycling, fishing, traveling, hiking.
- Portable & Protective Design: The solar portable charger is designed to be lightweight enough to put into any camping or hiking backpack. And the protective structure makes it rugged to defend against water, dust and shock.
This solar power source is an excellent companion to extreme backpackers. It can last more than a week of not recharging to a wall power source with its efficient solar capability.
7. OUTXE Wireless Solar PowerBank
This OUTXE solar is rugged and durable. It can withstand extreme outdoor conditions, except being submerged in water for an extended period.
High Quality Materials
The power bank is made with military-grade and dustproof materials. It is perfect for outdoor activities. With an IP67 rating, the OUTXE is waterproof.
Its rubberized cover is shock absorbent. This protects the battery pack from various shocks and falls. The carabiners on the edges add to its portability appeal. You can hang the solar device on your backpack.
Solar Charging Time
In excellent, ideal solar conditions, you can recharge the back power source fully for up to 70 hours. Its long solar recharging is due to its massive power bank 25,000 mAh capacity.
- Durable and shockproof
- Quick charging technology
- LED lights perfect in the dark
- Waterproof build
- Long solar recharging time
- Heavy and a bit bulky
This is the best solar charger for camping and other extended outdoor activities. This charger can last for weeks. With its rugged appearance, you can forget your worries about water and shock damage.
8. Goal Zero Nomad 5 Solar Panel
Goal Zero Nomad is a solar panel aimed at direct recharging. It’s rugged, waterproof, and durable. You can find the USB output at the back of the panel, which is a strategic place to keep it dry from accidental water spills.
It includes a small battery pack if you want a backup power source. But, you need to buy it separately. This small power bank can recharge a small device.
The built-in kickstand in the Goal Zero Nomad allows optimum positioning of the solar cells. This increases exposure efficiency to a solar source.
- Best for small devices
- Efficient direct solar charging
- Lightweight ideal for short outdoor activities
- No simultaneous recharging
- Material: monocrystalline
- Capacity: 5W
- Output: USB
- Dimensions: 9.5 x 7 x 1.1in
- Claimed Weight: 12.7oz
Goal Zero Nomad is an innovative product perfect for a brief weekend getaway. However, if you want to recharge more devices, this is not the right portable panel for you. This personal solar panel is recommended for one user since it can’t recharge two devices at the same time.
9. X-DRAGON Solar Charger
If you’re staying outdoors for a week or so with a laptop and solar generator in tow, bring a solar pad. This panel will keep your devices charged during the activity.
9 Solar Panels
X-Dragon solar charger has nine mini solar cells. It has a rated max power of 70W. Other solar cells with the same brand are also available. The limit is 280 Watts if you want to charge two devices with simultaneous connections to the panel.
High Solar Efficiency Rate
Like the Anker and other models, this solar charger has an excellent efficiency rate. It can convert sun power with up to a 23% efficiency rate. Thus, the charger will take 5 to 8 hours to solar charge a solar generator.
The X-dragon panels have 4 ports that include 2 ports, 1 port for laptop, and 1 port for car battery. Included in the box is a connector kit for various devices, so you can use the solar panel to connect a cell phone directly. To control the surge power, the X-Dragon has a built-in controller for its SolarIQ technology.
- Large and multiple solar cells
- Can charge a laptop and portable power station
- Works great in diffused sunlight conditions
- Complicated adapters for laptop
- Bulky and Heavy
- ☀️4-in One: Dual USB port(5V/2.4A per port) with iSolar Technology for charging your 5V powered gadgets, and 18V DC output(18V/3A) for charging your laptop or 12V car battery and portable generator, parallel connecting port for connecting multiple foldable solar panel.(Note: All the solar panel total watts no more than 280W)
- ☀️High Efficiency: 70W SunPower solar cell is made from US, up to 23.5% efficiency, providing endless joice for laptop and other battery under sun
- ☀️Slim and Powerful: Foldable design, easy to carry around, 1/3 lighter than the same power of solar slicon，eyeholes enable easy attachment to backpacks while hiking，portable and frame design fits for outdoor and indoor use. The total power increased by 1/3 in compare with the same solar panel size.
- ☀️Exclusive SolarIQ Technology: It can automatically adjust the current and voltage to achieve maximum power,delivering its fastest possible current up to 3.0A under direct sunlight.
- ☀️Package Contents: 70W Foldable Solar Charger, 5 laptop connectors, 5525 to 5521 DC cable, 5525 to car clamp cable, carabiners, instruction, 18 months no worry warranty and friendly customer service
This panel might be massive, but it offers enough portability. But the X-Dragon 70W might not be practical for hikers and trekkers.
10. FEELLE Solar PowerBank
The Feelle has a backup power source with a high mAh capacity. It is a powerhouse for camping and other outdoor activities.
Foldable Portable Panels
Feelle has three-fold solar cells and one panel in the battery pack. Even with not-so-bright sunlight, these panels are efficient in converting sun power.
Solar Charging Ability
You can fully charge the Feelle phone charger in 30 hours through sun power before your phone is drained. It’s one of the best and fastest charging solar power banks.
The 25000 mAh capacity can recharge devices up to 10 times. Combined with its efficiency rating for sun power conversion, you got a powerhouse for your outdoor activities.
- Fast charging through sun power
- High capacity power bank
- Lightweight, which is perfect for hikers
- LED lights in emergency, strobe, and normal modes
- Outdated cord style
- 25000mAh High Capacity: With its high capacity Lithium polymer battery, this solar charger has 8 charges for iPhone 11, around 6 charges for S20 and at least 2 charges for tablet, ideal for fishing hunting skiing.
- 4 Solar Panels: When its solar panels is unfolded, the solar power bank captures solar energy almost equivalent to an ordinary 5W wall charger. While when them is folded, it is small and compact to carry.
- Dual 2.1A USB: The solar phone charger can charge two devices simultaneously. A 2000mAh phone can be fully charged by our solar charger power bank in 1-1.3 hours and a tablets is about 2 to 3 hours.
- Rainproof and Practical: The solar panel charger has a waterproof silicone cover to protect the USB ports. And the built-in bright LED light has 3 modes (Steady-SOS-Strobe), perfect for camping, hiking and more outdoor activities.
- Multiple Protections: Our portable solar charger has multiple protection design; providing superior protection for itself and your devices against over-charging, over-voltage, over-current and short circuit, safe and reliable.
So far, it’s one of the lightest portable solar chargers with a quick charging system. Although the wall charging technology is slow, Feelle models still perform better than other cheap chargers.
FAQs: Guide to Buying Solar Chargers
Do solar phone chargers really work?
Yes, these products work. However, the efficiency and conversion rate of these backpacking solar chargers depends on the technology used by the manufacturer.
Are portable solar panels worth it?
Definitely! These products are now at the most affordable price. Besides, you can even use these solar chargers on your simple weekend getaway. These products save you the worries and stress of maximizing your devices’ battery power.
How fast can a 100-watt solar panel recharge a battery?
Approximately, a 100-watt solar panel can charge a battery for 5 to 8 hours with excellent conditions. Still, there are other factors at play here besides sun power.
What is the best solar power bank?
You have to consider outdoor engagements, connections, conversion efficiency, and time to charge the phone charger. The best solar cell chargers would allow you to charge it at the least possible time.
What factors affect the charging features of a solar panel?
Generally, more water proof solar panels may mean greater power output. However, the quality of materials and technology used in manufacturing solar chargers affect the charging features.
Solar chargers and power banks are convenient companions during outdoor activities. Some have excellent performance while others aren’t worth the value of your money. The final decision boils down to your specific use and need for such products.
See more of our best picks!
- Best Portable Solar Generators Review and Guide 2021
- 10 Best Solar Powered Gadgets for Camping in 2021
- TOP 10 Best Travel Accessories And Gears 2021 Buying Guide
- 10 Best Hydration Bladder to Buy in 2020
- 10 Best Compact Binoculars
- Top 10 Best Touring Bicycles Review And Buyer Guide 2020
- Best Hiking Boots For Women