- BookOnBoard’s Travel Guide to the USA
- List of Best Places to Travel in United States
- Grand Canyon National Park
- New York
- Everglades National Park
- Las Vegas
- Las Vegas FAQs
- Yellowstone FAQs
- San Francisco
- San Francisco FAQs
- Los Angeles
- Yosemite National Park
- Walt Disney World Resort
- Niagara Falls
- Wrapping Up
BookOnBoard’s Travel Guide to the USA
The United States of America or the USA is a huge country! From Pacific to Atlantic – it spans from one ocean to another. If you want to choose a holiday destination in the US, you have to choose among the literally hundreds of exciting tourist spots spread over nearly four million square miles. Don’t worry, we’re here to help you choose the best places to travel in United States with BookOnBoard’s Travel Guide to the USA.
When going to the US for vacation, you can choose from three basic kinds of attractions – cities, nature, and theme parks. America is famous in all three categories. So, without favoring any specific category, we have made our list of top 10 US holiday destinations. They are as follows:
List of Best Places to Travel in United States
- Grand Canyon
- New York
- Las Vegas
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
- Disney World
- Niagara Falls
Grand Canyon National Park
Probably one of the most iconic tourist spots of America, and featured in countless computer/phone wallpapers, the Grand Canyon National Park is arguably the top ranker in our US Holiday Guide. A veritable natural wonder, it is home to the immense Grand Canyon. The singular view of the layered band of rocks on sheer walls reveal millions of years of geological history, while the wide, picturesque wilderness captures your heart.
Grand Canyon FAQs
What can I do at the Grand Canyon?
- You can take part in multiple natural tourism activities here like hiking along the trails, camping with your friends or family, rafting on the fierce colorado river, taking a slow drive on the scenic routes, etc.
- The entry to the park is costly, but there are some shuttle rides that you can enjoy for free. Also, the south rim routes are open to people for driving in personal vehicles. 90% of the visitors go this way, making it one of the cheap places to travel in USA.
What are the places to see in Grand Canyon?
- Grand Canyon Village
- Rim Trails
- Internal Trails
- GC Visitor Center
- GC Railway
- Havasu Falls
- Desert View Watchtower
- Mather Point
- Hermit’s Rest
- Hopi House
- Navaho Bridge
- Mary Colter’s Lookout Studio
- …and many more!
How can I go to the Grand Canyon?
- The Grand Canyon National Park is located in the state of Arizona. The nearest city with an international airport is Flagstaff, only 1.5 hours away.
How many days should it take to visit the Grand Canyon?
- As it is a natural wonder, and pretty big at that, there is no upper limit of your stay in the Grand Canyon. However, if you want to make it short, we recommend at least three days.
When is the best time to visit the Grand Canyon?
- March to May and September to November are rather pleasant here. Also, there will be fewer tourists at these times.
Where can I stay in Grand Canyon?
- The area is dotted with hotels and resorts. You can choose to stay within the rim of the park or for a better budget you can stay in the hotels in nearby towns. Some of the more popular hotels in the grand canyon are:
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites
- Best Western Premier
- Grand Canyon Plaza
- Grand Canyon Lodge North Rim
Where the Hudson River meets the Atlantic Ocean, there sits the Big Apple, one of the brightest shining jewels in the crown of the USA. Featured on TV, movies, and literature countless times, NYC is also called the city that never sleeps. If you want to visit here, you will be bewildered by the sheer amount of things to do in New York.
New York FAQs
What can I see in New York?
- Statue of Liberty – the iconic statue for America, in NY harbor
- Central Park – a world-famous urban park with walkways, benches and a zoo
- Times Square – the hip and happening spot in the city with broadway shows and lights
- Empire State Building – possibly the most famous building of its time in America with observatories
- Metropolitan Museum of Art – world-class art hub
- 9/11 Memorial – memorial and museum to the September 11 tragedy
- Coney Island – amusement parks, beaches and boardwalk full of life
- Chinatown – Asian concentrate eating and culture center
- Little Italy – Italian heritage and dining concentrate
- Roosevelt Island – spectacular views of the city skylines and historical monuments
- …and countless more!
Where can I stay in New York?
- The city is chock-full of visitor accommodation from hotels to vacation stays. You can choose any place at your budget level. The notable hotels in New York City are:
- Park Hyatt NY
- Four Seasons NY Downtown
- Baccarat Hotel
- Clinton Premier
- Many private apartments in Chelsea and Brooklyn
How Can I go to New york?
- NYC is connected to the whole world by three international airports – JFK, LaGuardia, and Liberty. If you are coming via train, you can come in through Grand Central, Pennsylvania or Long Island stations, to which the whole area is connected via 472 stations.
Everglades National Park
Over 1.5 million acres of tropical wilderness attracts hoards of nature tourism followers at the Everglades. Designated a UNESCO world heritage site, it protects a fragile ecosystem. If you like peaceful jungles, tropical weather, boats and such, Everglades is one of the best places to travel in United States.
What can I do at Everglades?
- As a National Park, Everglade offers mostly nature tourism activities like forest trails, camping, and boating. Other than that, the area is so pristine, the skies are really very clear down here. You can, therefore, set up a telescope and observe the dark sky.
- John Pennekamp Coral Reef – snorkeling, glass-bottom boats, kayaking
- Theater of the Sea – sea lion and dolphin shows
- Trails – various difficulty hiking opportunities over hard or soft ground, deep jungle, and walkways
- Ten Thousand Islands – native wildlife refuge accessible only by boats
- Long Key State Park – lagoons and trails
- Alligator Farm – gators! More gators!
- Everglades Safari – tour various routes in the Park via boat, airboat, copter, etc.
- History Diving Museum
- Shark Valley Tram Tours
- …and many more!
What is the best time to visit Everglades?
- Mosquitoes are a nightmare in these swamplands, so your best bet would be December to March when they are least active. This makes Everglades one of the most affordable winter vacations.
How to go to Everglades?
- Everglades is located in the very south of Florida. It is only 55 miles from Miami, which connected internationally. You can use public transport from there, or you can drive a car or a boat directly to the park.
Where can I stay in Everglades?
- Other than camping sites, the national park has no commercial lodging facilities inside the park. However, there are lots of visitor accommodation options available at cities and towns bordering Everglades.
“Vegas, baby!” Wise words burst from the lips from anyone who is planning to visit Las Vegas, arguably the world’s largest and most famous casino and gaming city. The internationally renowned city is famous for its super-active nightlife, gambling, shopping, dining, and all kinds of entertainment. If you are touring the Americas, Las Vegas should rather be on the north half of your holiday destinations in USA list. It’s one of the best places to travel in United States!
Las Vegas FAQs
How can I reach Vegas?
- Las Vegas is connected to the world via two international airports, multiple highways, and rail lines. You will never have trouble reaching Vegas; it’s leaving there that’s the problem!
What are the most interesting spots in Vegas?
- Las Vegas is most famous for its casinos. The Las Vegas strip is lined with casinos big to small. A few most famous casinos in Vegas are:
- MGM Grand
- New York
- Treasure Island
- Golden Nugget
- When tired of the casinos, there are a few other attractions you can choose for a different vibe:
- Red Rock Canyon – national preserve, hiking, camping
- Fremont Street – open-air mall and free shows
- Neon Museum – vintage Vegas signings
- Shark Reef Aquarium – exotic marine creatures
- Adventuredome Theme Park – thrill rides
- Siegfried & Roy’s Secret Garden – dolphins and dolphins!
Where can I stay in Vegas?
- Most of the casinos in Vegas are hotels as well. For cheaper options, you can get homestays or apartments all around the city and suburbia.
Yellowstone National Park
Covering nearly 3500 square mile area, the Yellowstone is the first-ever national park in the US. This subalpine forest is home to multiple species of flora and fauna, breathtaking scenery, and the Caldera volcano. However, Yellowstone is probably most famous for its multiple geysers and similar geothermal features. It’s worth noting that with only a $50 year-round pass, this is one of the cheapest places to travel in December or August.
What are the places to see and things to do in Yellowstone?
- Old Faithful – world-famous cone geyser erupting on schedule
- Grand Prismatic Spring – colorful and spectacular geyser and hot spring
- Yellowstone Lake – hot spring, geyser, trout fishing, boating, camping
- Mammoth Hot Springs – geothermal features area with multiple geysers, hot springs, and rock terraces
- Caldera – super-volcano, trails, and hot springs
- Falls – multiple waterfalls with hiking and rock climbing opportunities
- Firehole River – boating, fishing, hot springs, geysers, trails
- Old Faithful Inn – Landmark hotel and restaurant
- Mount Washburn – hiking and rock climbing
- Boiling River – lots of hot springs, seasonal thermal soaking
- Roosevelt Arch – Park entrance and landmark
- Yellowstone Vacation Tours – bus tours of the park
What animals can I see in the Yellowstone?
- This is considered to be one of the biggest megafauna habitats in the USA. This park has sixty species of just mammals, including wolf, coyote, lynx, bears, bison, elk, moose, deer, mountain goat, bighorn sheep. These are hunted by lots of cougars.
- The park is home to many salamanders and frogs also. Among reptiles, you can find rattlesnakes, boas and various other snakes, and sagebrush lizards.
When is the best time to visit Yellowstone?
- July is the busiest season here, so you should plan whether you will shoulder the crowd and enjoy the bey time, or enjoy the seclusion compensating on the weather. Though it should be mentioned that this spectacular region with its varied geographical features offers something for every season. This is what makes it one of the best places to travel in United States.
How I can reach Yellowstone?
- Yellowstone is located in three states partially and can be entered from all three. Jackson in Wyoming, Bozeman in Montana, and Idaho Falls, Idaho are the nearest airport cities. There are ample shuttle and cab services from these cities and nearby towns. However, the area is pretty much empty of rail connections.
Where can I stay in Yellowstone?
- Old Faithful Inn
- Lake Yellowstone Hotel
- Old Faithful Lodge
- Lake Lodge
- multiple small hotel and homestays in nearby towns and villages
One of the most spectacular metropolises in the USA, San Francisco is a hilly city in northern California. It is on a peninsula surrounded by the Pacific ocean and known for its culture, year-round fog, Golden Gate Bridge, and colorful Victorian houses.
San Francisco FAQs
What is there to see in SF?
- The Golden Gate Bridge – iconic suspension bridge and engineering marvel of its time
- Alcatraz – notorious prison island and historical landmark
- Fisherman’s Wharf – sea lion exhibits, souvenir soups, crab stands, shopping
- Golden Gate Park – relaxation, trails, museums, festivals
- Pier 39 – scenic views, dining, celebrations
- Union Square – shopping, dining, nightlife
- Muir Woods – camping, trailing, giant redwoods
- and many more…
- It is worth noting that with over fifty free things to do in San Francisco, this is one of the cheap places to travel in the USA.
Where can I stay in San Francisco?
- Being one of the most tourist-attracting cities, SF has no ending of hotels, motels, homestays, and apartments. Some of the famous ones are:
- Nob Hill Hotel
- HI San Francisco Downtown Hostel
- Casa Loma
- Calista Organic
When is the best time to visit SF?
- April to August is considered the most populous tourism time. Fall and Spring will offer you the best cityscapes. It is one of the cheapest places to travel in December.
The City of Angels, the La La Land! Los Angeles is a metropolis of dreams. Connected most intimately with the American movie industry, LA is home to Hollywood and wrapped in creative visions, myths, movie legends. A picturesque city to visit, LA was planned to co-exist naturally with golden beaches, flower-covered hills, and clean air.
Los Angeles FAQs
Places to see in LA
- Hollywood sign – iconic letters spelling “HOLLYWOOD” on top of Mount Lee, hiking
- Universal Studios – movie-themed amusement park
- Disneyland – world-famous Walt Disney themed amusement park
- Griffith Observatory – observatories, telescopes, and planetariums
- Walk-of-Fame – Hollywood sidewalk studded with monuments to stars
- Santa Monica Pier – dining, activities, rides
- Griffith park – trails, city views, zoo
- The Getty – free art museum
- The Queen Mary – famous floating hotel
- Santa Monica Beach – beach activities
- Sunset boulevard – legendary nightlife
- Theaters and Halls – dotted throughout the city, no ends of shows
- La Brea Tar Pits – prehistoric fossils
- Pacific Park – seaside amusement park
- STAPLES – sports and music
- Mulholland Drive – celebrity homes and scenic views
Yosemite National Park
Home to Sierra Nevada’s iconic ancient giant sequoias, Yosemite is probably the most beautiful natural preserve in the US. Towering peaks and deep waterfalls and picture-perfect scenery make this a photographers’ and nature lovers’ heaven. Thus, it was a must-entry in our best places to travel in United States list.
What is there to see in Yosemite?
- Yosemite Vally – beautiful valley with dense forest and picture-postcard views. Many trails and camping opportunities.
- Half Dome – iconic landmark granite cliff with rock climbing and hiking trails
- Glacier Point – viewpoint above the valley, rock climbing opportunity
- El Capitan – great granite formation with hiking and climbing opportunities
- Ahwahnee Hotel – cozy lodge, rustic architecture, national historic landmark
- Bridalveil Fall – tall, loud waterfall visible from a long distance
- Mist Trail – famous waterfall-side hiking trail set
- Mariposa Grove – giant sequoia grove, place of meditation, hiking
- Tunnel View – scenic viewpoint appearing in many artistic renders
- Tuolumne Meadows – lush, gentle, dome-studded sub-alpine meadow, great camping spot
- Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad – steam train ride through scenic historic route
What is the best time to visit Yosemite?
- In the winter, due to snow, many roads are kept closed in the region. Therefore your best bet is anytime but the winter. Especially in spring, you will be able to enjoy sub-alpine nature at its most vivid and colorful time.
How can I get to Yosemite?
- Yosemite is in California and thus has great land route connections. The closest airport is Fresno-Yosemite International only 65 miles south.
Where can I stay in Yosemite?
- Try getting a room at the Ahwahnee, if possible. That would be an experience. If not, there is the Yosemite Valley Lodge, Curry Village, White Wolf Lodge, and assorted hotels and lodges in Groveland, Mariposa, Oakhurst, etc.
Walt Disney World Resort
This world-famous multi-entertainment facility is one of the best places to travel in United States. The ‘Disney World‘ in short, it has 120 attractions, 50 entertainment options, 140 dining places in 4 theme parks and 2 water parks. Planned for multi-day visits, the Walt Disney World is one of the most notable tourist traps in the western world.
Disney World FAQs
How can I reach Disney World?
- The Disney World is in Orlando, Florida, which is well-connected to the world via airplane, train, and road routes.
How costly is a visit to Disney World?
- For a family of four and a one-week visit, tickets alone will cost you $1800 and up. Living and dining inside the resort zone are horribly costly (though the sheer experience outweighs the cost). In the city, you can find standard-rate fares.
When is the best time to visit Disney?
- The height of winter is the least crowded time here, so you will be able to make affordable winter vacations at this time. However, this year in spring, Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway will open, so that is a good time to see the shows as well.
What are the attractions at Disney World?
Too many to fit in here! Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Seaworld, Typhoon Lagoon, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Blizzard Beach, Big Thunder Mountain, Discovery Cove, Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Boardwalk resort, Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris, the Grand Floridian, Pandora, Space Mountain, Seven Dwarfs Mine… you can never finish visiting all the rides and attractions at Disney World, it seems.
Straddling the border of Canada and the US, it is probably the world’s most famous waterfall. The Niagara River drops over hundred-sixty feet over nearly 3000 feet wide areas to create a misty zone at the bottom which draws tourist traffic like crazy. People from all over the world come to see this magical picturesque natural wonder.
FAQ’s About Niagara Falls
How to go to Niagara Falls?
- Niagara Falls has two cities named the same on the Canadian and New York sides. You can visit either from nearby international airports. From Toronto, Canada, NF city is around 90 minutes’ drive, and from Buffalo NY, its only 17 miles.
What is there to see at Niagara Falls?
- Besides the majestic, world-famous waterfall, there are lots of things to do in Niagara Falls. Some of the notable places:
- Maid of the Mist
- Cave of the Winds
- Niagara Falls State Park
- Goat Island
- Seneca Niagara Resort & Casino
- Niagara Falls Observation Tower
- Whirlpool State Park
- Aquarium of Niagara
- Trailhead Niagara Gorge Hiking Trail
- Fallsview Casino Resort
When is the best time to visit Niagara Falls?
- The falls offer different kinds of beauties in different seasons, so you will find lots to enjoy any time you come, even at night. It is also one of the most affordable winter vacations. However, keep in mind that the onrush of tourists in spring will make lodging and parking very difficult at that time.
The United States of America is vast, wondrous land to behold. There are literally thousands of tourist attractions dotted throughout the map of the USA. We have tried to highlight the top ten best places to travel in United States with BookOnBoard’s Travel Guide to the US.