When you’re out camping in the wild, or far from the nearest town or city, it can be difficult to know what’s going on in the outside world. How can you know what the weather has to throw at you and your companions if you haven’t got cell phone signal? Or if you don’t have power to charge your phone, it can be tricky to know if a storm is coming in the next few days.
That’s where an emergency radio comes in handy. These radios have been designed to be used in situations where you may not have power. They will have different methods of powering them just in case you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere. These devices will give you the weather broadcasts you need, and can even be used as a multitool.
However, there are so many different models to choose from on the market that it can be an overwhelming experience. There’s no need to panic – we’ve done all the research for you. We looked at hundreds of products to find the best emergency radio on the market. Take a look at our top 5 recommended emergency radios below!
- FosPower Emergency Weather Radio
- Kaito KA500 6-way Powered Emergency Radio
- RunningSnail Emergency Crank Radio
- Aiworth Emergency Solar Hand Crank Radio
- Puiuisoul Emergency Solar Hand Crank Radio
- Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently asked questions
- Other Travel Gear Reviews
The FosPower emergency weather radio comes with a range of great features which easily makes it our top pick. This particular radio can be powered using 3 different power sources. This makes it the ideal fit if you’re going to be isolated somewhere without mains power. You can use AAA batteries to power the radio should you need it. This radio can also be powered using a crank lever and a solar panel.
This particular emergency radio comes with a range of great features to make it the perfect survival tool. The radio comes with a 2000mAh power bank, which can be used to charge your cell phone or smaller tablet. It comes with an SOS alarm to alert others that you need help. This emergency radio also comes with a light for you to use, too.
Another handy feature of this emergency radio is that it comes with emergency weather broadcast access. You will be able to get any emergency weather information from NOAA as well as AM and FM stations. This will be a lifesaver if you’re caught in the middle of nowhere and need to know how the weather’s going to change over the coming hours and days.
What’s really handy about this emergency radio is that it comes with 2 different light sources. There is a 4 LED reading light to help you read comfortably in the dark. There is also a 1W flashlight for you to use during emergency situations.
- Range of features – can be used as a power bank, features an SOS alarm, and 2 different light sources
- 3 power sources – choose between solar power, crank lever, or AAA batteries
- Weather broadcast access – capable of receiving up to the second weather broadcasts from NOAA, AM, and FM stations
- Manual – doesn’t come with a printed manual, you will need to find this online
- [2000MAH POWER BANK WILL KEEP DEVICES POWERED] FosPower's emergency radio incorporates a 2000mAh power bank capable of providing emergency power to any small tablet or phone.
- [3 POWER SOURCES POWER WHEN YOU NEED IT] Use the emergency weather radio's 3 power sources when you need a boost of power or need to recharge the radio. The radio's crank lever and solar panel are both capable of regenerating enough power to keep the radio, lights, and SOS alarm ready to go when you need it most. AAA Batteries ensure you have power when not able to regenerate power.
- [2 LIGHT SOURCES ALWAYS POWERED] The emergency crank radio can also provide light. The 4 LED reading light and 1W flashlight provides enough output to keep you and your loved ones out of the dark in an emergency situation.
- [NOAA EMERGENCY WEATHER BROADCAST ACCESS] The radio will dependably receive up to the second emergency weather forecasts and emergency news broadcasts from NOAA and AM/FM stations.
- [LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY] Includes a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Please visit FosPower's website for more information.
The Kaito KA500 6-way powered emergency radio is the perfect thing to give you extra peace of mind. If you’re worried about powering the radio in an emergency situation, you can rest easy in the knowledge that it can be powered using 6 different methods. Choose between the solar panel, the hand crank generator, 3 AA batteries, the built-in replaceable and rechargeable battery pack, 5V USB input, or 5V AC/DC input with a wall adapter.
Another great feature of the Kaito emergency radio is that it can be used as an emergency charger, too. Thanks to the standard DC 5V USB output port. This can be used to charge your cell phone, digital camera, MP3 player, GPS unit, or other similar devices that need a boost of power in a pinch. Perfect if you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere with no other means for charging your devices.
You’ll get an impressive amount of radio coverage with this particular model. The Kaito emergency radio is able to offer comprehensive coverage of FM, AM, 7 pre programmed NOAA weather channels, and 2-band shortwave channels. So you can get all the weather reports, breaking news, and entertainment that you need from an emergency radio. You’ll be able to get 24/7 real time weather forecasts for America and Canada.
On the whole, the Kaito KA500 emergency radio comes with a range of great features that will make it a lifesaver to have on hand. It comes with a telescopic antenna which can extend up to 14.5 inches to give you an even better signal. The radio comes with built-in speakers which deliver a crisp, clear sound. It also comes with an LED flashlight, a 5 LED reading lamp, and a red LED SOS beacon light.
- Range of features – makes the Kaito emergency radio perfect for survival situations
- 6 ways to power – choose between 6 different power methods to suit your needs
- Emergency charger – can be used to charge your devices in a pinch
- Pricey – one of the more expensive models on our list
- 6-way powered portable emergency radio with hand crank generator, solar panel, compartment for 3 AA batteries (not included), 5V USB input, 5V AC/DC input with a wall power adapter (sold separately), built-in NiMH replaceable and rechargeable battery pack
- Comprehensive coverage of AM, FM, 2-band shortwave and 7 pre-programmed NOAA weather channels for entertainment, sports, talk-shows, breaking news around the world, and 24/7 real-time weather forecast (USA and Canada ONLY) with PEAS (Public Emergency Alert System)
- Works as an emergency mobile battery charger with built-in standard DC 5V USB output port for charging mobile devices, such as smart phones, GPS units, MP3 players, digital cameras, and etc. Other features include a 5-LED reading lamp, LED flashlight and a red LED S.O.S. beacon light
- Telescopic antenna extends up to 14.5" for high sensitivity reception assisted by advanced semiconductor circuitry design and LED signal strength indicator for pin-point tuning accuracy, and built-in speaker delivers loud and crispy sound
- Made of strong premium impact-resistant and water-resistant ABS material, suitable for both indoors home/office use and outdoors recreational activities
The RunningSnail emergency crank radio makes another great choice to have to hand in a pinch. This particular emergency radio features an upgraded design to make it even more efficient. Whereas competitive models only come with a 2000mAh battery, this model comes with a 4000mAh replaceable lithium ion battery. This is capable of charging more than a single cell phone at the same time.
What’s really great about this emerging radio is that you can use 4 different methods to charge it. The powerful 4000mAh battery is replaceable, which makes it easier to charge when the battery runs flat. You can also charge this emergency radio via a micro USB cable, solar power, or by using the hand crank mechanism.
This particular emergency radio also includes a powerful light. There are 3 lighting modes to help you choose the best one for your situation. Choose between far beam, dipped beam, as well as far and dipped beam. You can use this as a flashlight, or to help you read in the dark.
You’ll never get caught out by the weather again with the RunningSnail emergency radio in your possession. You’ll be able to get access to 7 NOAA stations so that you can stay up to date with all of the weather alerts in your area of America. So you’ll be able to ensure that you’re prepared for whatever is coming your way well in advance.
- Upgraded features – includes a range of upgraded features compared to previous models
- 4 power methods – choose between the 4000mAh battery, micro USB cable, solar power, or hand crank mechanism
- Flashlight – features 3 modes to suit your situation
- Headphones – doesn’t come with a jack for headphones
- ★【2021 Newest Design MD-090P】Based on MD-090 emergency flashlight radio and customer's feedback, we've optimized and upgraded a lot of features. A biggest 4000mAh replaceable li-ion battery can charge more than one smartphone, the most powerful lighting functions include super-bright 3 mode flashlight and motion sensor reading lamp. Also, external antenna, electricity label, comfortable hand crank, tap switch fit all your needs. The MD-090P is the best value for emergency radio in this market.
- ★【The Most Powerful Life Saver Radio】Nature is unpredictable, but you can be prepared and ready in the face of her fury. The emergency crank radio with weather band and phone charge professionally get weather broadcasts the latest weather and all hazard information for your areas like hurricanes, tornadoes and so on from 7 NOAA stations at a crystal-clear sound. Earns a critical time for you to get full preparation advance, keeping you and your family safe with this emergency weather radio.
- ★【4 CHARGING MODES】Compared with 2000mah or 1000mah emergency radio on the market, the solar radio has upgraded to 4000mAh replaceable 18650 Li-ion battery, found in every household and easy to buy in the local market or amazon store. Also, Micro USB charge, Solar charge, Hand-crank could also supply the flashlight radio last for days after the storm had passed until the power back on. No matter what emergency situation you find yourself in, this hand crank light never run out of electricity!
- ★【Super-Bright 3 Mode Flashlight And Motion Sensor Reading Lamp】 If you are an outdoor enthusiast or need to walk in places without lights, the flashlight radio with 3 modes flashlight is a great alternative, which farthest lighting range exceeds10m, farther than the most other solar emergency radio. Also, a reading lamp with a Motion sensor will greatly help you get up in the mid-night to avoid waking your family. Add to cart, you will never regret that you purchase this crank flashlight radio!
- ★【We Care About You and The ones Your loved】 In the past years, Our emergency radio has helped more than 10,000,000 USA Civilians to live through the hurricane, tornadoes and snowstorm season, like "Dorian", "Harvey, "Irma", etc. Your voice drives us to be the best. We back our emergency weather radio with 18-months Warranty! If you are not satisfied with this NOAA weather radio, we can refund you immediately as you contact us. And our customer service is here for you 24/7 for anything you need!
The Aiworth emergency solar hand crank radio comes with a range of great features to make it a solid choice for your survival kit. This particular model comes with a range of upgraded features from previous models to make it the better choice. There is a large LCD screen included to clearly display the battery percentage of the radio. It also comes with a super bright flashlight, a 4 LED reading light, an SOS alarm, and a bottle opener.
This particular emergency radio can also be used to get any weather alerts for your area. The radio comes with an upgraded DSP chip as well as a 6 inch telescoping antenna. These upgraded components work to search through 7 weather channels so that you can get the weather alerts you need so you can stay prepared.
What’s really great about this particular emergency radio is that it can be powered via 4 different methods. You can choose between 3 AAA batteries, a micro USB cable, solar power, or the hand crank mechanism. This will make it more versatile than radios which can only be powered through one or two methods.
The best thing about this emerging radio is that it’s waterproof. So it will be the perfect companion to take with you on camping trips. You won’t have to worry about it getting wet and breaking in the case you get caught in a torrential downpour.
- Versatile – comes with a range of handy features to create the ultimate survival tool
- Weather channels – get the weather information you need from 7 different channels
- 4 power methods – choose the best way to power the radio for your needs
- Bottle opener – some customers felt a different accessory could have been included
- 【Powerful Emergency Radio】This portable solar emergency radio is more powerful than the traditionall radios.The main upgraded points are the large LCD screen to show the percentage of battery surplus, bright flashlight ,4 led reading lamps, bottle opener and SOS alarm .This is a multi-function 6 in 1 weather radio for emergencies, it is practical and cost-effective .You deserve it.
- 【NOAA Weather Alert Radio】 With upgraded DSP Chip,6-inch telescoping antenna a high-performance built in speaker, this weather radio captures a superior signal reception , automatically scan through 7 available weather band channels and locks onto the strongest weather channel to alert you the hazard weathers in your area like hurricanes, tornadoes and sever storms , earns a critical time for you to get full preparation advance. A Powerful Life Saver radio !
- 【4 Ways to Power the Weather Radio and 2000mAh Power Bank】 This crank weather radio supports charge by solar, hand crank,Micro USB cable or 3 * AAA batteries (not included), will provide continuous power to the radio and no worry about power off.It also can use as 2000mAh emergency power bank to charge your phone and other electronic products.No matter what emergency situation, the HAND-CRANK will always supply power.
- 【SOS Alarm and Reading Lamp】 This flashlight radio with SOS alarm and 3W large powerful speaker is great for outdoor enthusiast , it can emit a clear loud emergency call and accompany with SOS signal light which can make you get faster help when you get lost outdoor. You can read stories for children even at camping night by normal light,as well as a must-have for travelling, camping, backpacking and car.
- 【What You Will Get】Aiworth waterproof emergency radio with a backup power source is very durable and reliable, it's an essential tool for home use and outdoor activities, it makes your life more safe. Packing included:1*emergency radio, 1*Micro USB cable and instruction..
You’ll have everything you need with the Puiuisoul emergency solar hand crank radio. This particular model comes with a range of great features to make it the versatile addition you need on your camping trip. It comes with a 6 LED reading lamp, a built-in speaker to use for the radio or SOS alert, and even features a headphone jack so that you can listen to the radio without bothering your friends during the night.
This particular radio can also be used as a power bank thanks to its 2000mAh lithium ion battery. This battery is also able to support between 4 to 6 hours of radio time, as well as 12 hours of light. There’s also no need to panic if the battery runs out of charge. There are 4 ways to charge up the radio. Choose between solar power, the hand crank mechanism, 3 AAA batteries, or the USB phone cable.
One of the best features of this emergency radio is that it’s waterproof. This makes it ideal for camping trips where you might get caught in all manner of weather. You won’t have to worry about the radio becoming damaged by any water it comes in contact with. You will still be able to use the radio in poor weather conditions.
Another great feature of this emergency radio is that the manufacturer is so confident their product will last you, it comes with a lifetime warranty. So you can rest assured that you’re buying a quality product that will last you for several years.
- Versatile – comes with a great range of features to use at home or while camping
- 4 charging methods – choose between USB phone cable, hand crank mechanism, solar power, or 3 AAA batteries
- Waterproof – capable of withstanding poor weather conditions
- Small – some customers found the radio was smaller than they were expecting
- 📻[HOUSEHOLD RADIO]:Emergency solar hand crank radio AM/FM & NOAA emergency broadcast weather alert radio with 6 LEDs reading lamp and headphone jack Keep staying aware of weather conditions in advance 6 LEDs Reading lamp design.It can be used in emergency and survival situations to light up dark spaces and areas or to keep your room nice and bright after a storm cuts off your power.
- 🌩️[OUTDOOR BODYGUARD]:Portable NOAA stations at a crystal-clear sound weather radio with flashlight for lighting road in dark and SOS alarm ready to go when you need it most.
- 🔋[2000 mAh]:Solar emergency weather radio built in 2000mAh power bank USB cable for charging to phone or any small tablet Support 12 hours of light or 4-6 hours of radio time.
- ⚡[NEVER POWER OFF]:Hand crank radio have solar,hand crank,charging USB phone cable or 3 AAA batteries(not included)4 ways to charge.Can be charged on sunny day even if in dark without electricity charge it by hand crank Full power safety forever.
- 💎[LIFETIME WARRANTY]: For ensuring prefect experience,if you are not satisfied with this NOAA weather radio, we can refund you immediately as you contact us. And our customer service is here for you 24/7 for anything you need!We will always be responsible for the products we sell!
Trying to find the best emergency radio for your needs can be a real challenge. For one thing, there are so many different models to choose from. How can you know which one is the best of the best? It might be tempting to opt for the cheapest model you stumble across. However, there are a few factors that you will need to consider first.
We’ve put together this helpful buyer’s guide so that you have all the information you need to make a fully informed decision. As long as your chosen emergency radio covers all of the below criteria, you can rest assured that you’re buying a quality product.
Take a look at everything you need to know about emergency radios below, or skip ahead to the frequently asked questions.
One of the most important things to look for in an emergency radio is how it’s powered. Most radios will come with a lithium ion battery which doubles as a power bank. This battery is also rechargeable. The best emergency radios will allow you to charge this using a variety of methods.
Most of the standard methods include solar power, a hand crank mechanism, a USB cable, or either AA or AAA batteries. Take a look at the methods your preferred model requires to see if this fits your needs. There may also be additional charging methods available depending on the product you choose.
Another important feature to look for is an emergency radio that comes with weather broadcasts. If you’re caught out in the middle of nowhere, you will want to know if a storm is coming in. This will allow you to prepare for whatever the weather has to throw at you rather than let yourself be caught off guard.
You should ensure that your chosen emergency radio comes with pre programmed stations. If it doesn’t, you may find the NOAA stations hard to find.
It will be worth noting what additional features your chosen emergency radio comes with. This will help to make the emergency radio a useful survival tool.
The majority of models will come with a flashlight and an LED reading lamp to help you see in the dark. Some will also feature a power bank so that you can charge devices such as your cell phone. They may even include a handy SOS alarm for you to use in a pinch.
The more additional features your chosen radio comes with, the more useful it will be.
You will need to choose a durable emergency radio that will be able to withstand all manner of weather. Ultimately you will want it to be waterproof, so that any sudden downpours you get caught in won’t damage the radio. This will be essential, so that you can use your radio in an emergency.
Ensuring that your emergency radio is waterproof instead of just water resistant will be essential.
Easy to use
It will be important to choose an emergency radio that will be fairly easy for you to use. There’s no point in spending extra money on the most expensive emergency radio that you can buy if it’s going to be too difficult to use! Choose a radio that is straightforward to use and that comes with a handy manual.
Frequently asked questions
What is the best hand crank emergency radio?
The best emergency radios are:
- FosPower Emergency Weather Radio
- Kaito KA500 6-way Powered Emergency Radio
- RunningSnail Emergency Crank Radio
- Aiworth Emergency Solar Hand Crank Radio
- Puiuisoul Emergency Solar Hand Crank Radio
What should I look for in an emergency radio?
There are several factors that will be important to look for in an emergency radio. These include how it’s powered or charged, how waterproof it is, whether it gives you weather alerts or access to weather broadcasts, how easy it is to use, what budget you have to play with, and how many additional features it comes with. We have covered these topics in more detail above in our buyer’s guide to help you find the best emergency radio for your needs.
What is an emergency radio used for?
An emergency radio has been designed to be used in all kinds of emergencies. These radios usually feature technology to help them remain functional in the case of a power outage. This will then allow you to access weather broadcasts to see how the weather is going to change while you’re out camping. Most models will also come with flashlights, power banks, and other additional features.
Other Travel Gear Reviews
- Best Portable Solar Generators Review and Guide 2021
- 10 Best Solar Powered Gadgets for Camping in 2021
- Best Portable Solar Chargers: 10 Product Reviews
- TOP 10 Best Travel Accessories And Gears 2021 Buying Guide
- 10 Best Hydration Bladder to Buy in 2020
- 10 Best Compact Binoculars
- Top 10 Best Touring Bicycles Review And Buyer Guide 2020
- Best Hiking Boots For Women
- Best Heated Vest Guide and Reviews 2021