Passenger rights are important for a good air travel experience. When travelling in, to, and from Europe, there is a body of legislation that grants you the right to be compensated when your flight has been delayed, cancelled, overbooked, or if your schedule has been changed.
In this article, you will learn all you need to know about your rights, the exceptions, and how to ensure that you receive the American airlines flight delays compensation you are entitled to as a passenger.
- Conditions That Must be Met to Claim Compensation From.
- American Airlines Must Offer Passenger Assistance and Care in Case of a Long Delay.
- American Airlines: How Much Can I Receive in Compensation For a Flight Delay, Cancellation, or Overbooking?
- How to Proceed When Claiming Compensation For a Delayed or Cancelled American Airlines Flight
- Check Your Flight For Free With Our Claim Calculator and Find Out Immediately If You Can Claim Compensation!
- Claim Your Compensation From American Airlines
- When is it Possible to Claim for a Delayed Flight?
- When Can You Claim For a Cancelled Flight?
- When am I Entitled to Receive the Refund of What I’ve Paid For my American Airlines Flight?
- When is it Possible to Claim For Overbooking or Denied Boarding?
- Reasons Why American Airlines Refuse to Pay Compensation For A Cancelled or Delayed Flight
- When is One Entitled to Compensation When Flying With American Airlines?
- Claim Rejected by American Airlines? We Can Still Help You.
- American Airlines: Network, History, and Punctuality.
- What happens if a flight is delayed or cancelled?
- Does American Airlines give refunds for delayed flights?
- What do I do if my flight is cancelled?
- How long do airlines have to refund cancelled flights?
- Do airlines have to refund your money?
- How long does it take American Airlines to review a refund?
- Can I get a full refund from American Airlines?
- How long can they delay a flight?
- How do you get compensated for a delayed flight?
- Do airlines cancel flights due to lack of passengers?
- Read about Different Airline Policies and Baggage fees:
Conditions That Must be Met to Claim Compensation From.
The flight route: the European regulation states you can claim American airlines cancelled flight compensation when a flight is operated by a European airline (like American Airlines) or if a flight takes off from an E.U airport.
Circumstances: regulations also state you can claim compensation for flight delays, cancellations, or circumstances.
The deadline for claiming compensation: in the United Kingdom and Ireland, it is possible to claim compensation up to six years after the date of the flight. The time frame varies depending on the European country and is decided by each country’s regulatory body. In the U.K., it’s the Civil Aviation Authority. The total time of your delay: in most cases, you can claim compensation if you have arrived at your final destination within a delay of more than 3 hours.
American Airlines Must Offer Passenger Assistance and Care in Case of a Long Delay.
American Airline should provide you with proper assistance and care in the event of a long day or flight cancellation (more than 2 hours)
Your assistance and care package may include;
- Meals and drinks
- Hotel accommodations if necessary (one or more nights)
- Transport from the airport to the hotel
- Two different occasions in which you are allowed communication with an individual of your choice. (call, emails, etc.)
In case you don’t receive the corresponding assistance or care and incur extra expenses, you have the right to be reimbursed.
Remember to keep invoices and receipts safe.
The request for reimbursement may also be attached to your claim for compensation.
American Airlines: How Much Can I Receive in Compensation For a Flight Delay, Cancellation, or Overbooking?
According to E.U. regulations, the total amount you’re entitled to receive in compensation is determined by the flight’s itinerary and the distance between the airport of departure and arrival.
The regulations also take into account connecting flights when assessing your case.
Connecting flights are covered as long as they have been booked under the same reference.
It’s the distance between your initial airport of departure and your final destination that will determine the amount of money you will receive in compensation for flight cancellations.
The compensation sums are;
|Distance Between Airport of Departure and Final Destination||Compensation Sum|
|Up to 1,500 kilometres (932.1 miles)||Up to £220|
|Between 1500 and 3500 kilometres ( 932.1 miles to 2174.8 miles)||Up to £350|
|Greater than 3,500 kilometres (2174.8miles)||Up to £530|
Remember that if your flight travelled a distance greater than 3,500 kilometres (2174.8miles) and you have experienced a delay greater than 3 hours but fewer than 4, your compensation is reduced by 50%.
American Airlines’ customer service is up to the standards of a large, international airline. So, the American giant will rebook you on a later flight when they have to cancel the one you booked.
If the arrangements American airline customer service makes for you do not suit your travel plans, feel free to request more changes or request a full refund for your flight cancellation.
How to Proceed When Claiming Compensation For a Delayed or Cancelled American Airlines Flight
Here are our most relevant recommendations and things you should keep in mind in American Airlines flight cancellations.
Keep a copy of your travel documents;
- Flight documents such as boarding pass, booking confirmation, e-ticket, delay statement, etc.
- Receipts for additional costs like taxi, food, and accommodation
Remember to record the information of your disrupted American Airlines flight;
- Flight number
- The flight schedule (scheduled arrival and departure times)
- Length of the delay (actual and final departure and arrival time)
Check Your Flight For Free With Our Claim Calculator and Find Out Immediately If You Can Claim Compensation!
Enter the date and flight number of your American Airlines in our claim calculator to see if you can claim American airlines cancelled flight compensation for your delay or cancellation.
You will also discover the total sum you may be entitled to.
Claim Your Compensation From American Airlines
In most cases, airlines make the process of claiming as complicated as possible to avoid compensating their customers.
They also overuse the argument that an extraordinary circumstance caused the flight disruption. Most passengers lose hope and accept the airline’s rejection as the truth.
Fortunately, you can use different tools and databases to ensure that your rights are honoured and fact-check the airlines.
Suppose you want to maximize the probability of being compensated for your American Airlines flight delays, cancellations, or overbooking. In that case, you can let a specialized service take care of the whole process.
You should always enforce your rights and get what is yours.
When is it Possible to Claim for a Delayed Flight?
If your flight was delayed, you could claim the compensation if;
- You arrived at your final destination more than 3 hours late.
- Your departure airport was within an E.U. member state, or if you were flying with an E.U. airline.
- An extraordinary circumstance did not cause a delay in your flight.
The total amount of compensation you can receive varies depending on the distance travelled by your flight. Sometimes it also depends on the total amount of time you are delayed at your final airport destination.
If you want to know if your route is covered and the number of AA refunds you may be entitled to, check your flight with our claim calculator.
When Can You Claim For a Cancelled Flight?
If your flight was cancelled, you have the right to claim American airlines cancelled flight compensation.
However, certain conditions must be met for you to be entitled to receive compensation.
In the case of flight cancellations, determining when you can claim compensation is a little complex since the time you were informed about the cancellation also comes into play.
As stated in the American airlines’ cancellation policy, the moment you were informed of the interruption is very important;
- If you were informed more than 14 days before your departure, you are not entitled to compensation.
- If the airline informs you of the flight cancellation between 7 and 14 days in advance and they have managed to book an alternative or replacement flight, that: 1. Does not depart 2 hours earlier than scheduled 2. Does not arrive later than 4 hours after your original scheduled time.
The airlines are not obliged to compensate you. In other words, to be entitled to the compensation, you will have to arrive more than 4 hours later or leave more than 2 hours earlier than planned.
- If you were informed of the flight cancellation not earlier than 7 days before the departure date, you are entitled to compensation if you arrived at least 2 hours later than scheduled.
All the above scenarios only grant you the right to be compensated if your flight cancellation was not due to an extraordinary circumstance.
If your flight is cancelled, the airline is obligated to take you to your final destination or refund your ticket if you do not wish to travel anymore because the airline customer services haven’t offered you a suitable alternative flight.
When am I Entitled to Receive the Refund of What I’ve Paid For my American Airlines Flight?
If your flight is delayed for more than 5 hours and you want to cancel your travel plans, you can request a full refund of your ticket. However, this will mean that you won’t receive compensation as you need to arrive at your final airport destination to claim.
If your flight has been cancelled and you have not been offered a suitable alternative flight, or if you had to arrange an alternative flight or travel arrangement yourself, you are also entitled to a refund and sometimes compensation. The American Airlines refund request can be attached to your claim for compensation when submitting the claim.
When is it Possible to Claim For Overbooking or Denied Boarding?
The American airlines’ refund policy covers cases where passengers are denied boarding. If you have been denied boarding without the airline taking responsibility, you must be compensated under the same principles that apply to delays and cancellations.
There are certain things considered as passengers’ responsibility. For instance;
- Checking in on time, either online or at the counter.
- Having all necessary travel documents (passport, visa, I.D. card, boarding pass, etc.)
- Being present at the boarding gate at the time indicated on the boarding pass or the booking confirmation.
- Rude behaviour or being a threat to the safety of the flight, its crew, oneself, or other passengers.
If you’ve fulfilled all the responsibilities as a passenger, the airline can only revoke boarding for one reason; overbooking.
Overbooking is a common practice in the industry as airlines try to maximize profits.
Reasons Why American Airlines Refuse to Pay Compensation For A Cancelled or Delayed Flight
American airlines constantly reject compensation requests on the grounds that extraordinary circumstances caused the delay or cancellation. When rejecting a compensation claim, it is the obligation of American Airlines to prove that an extraordinary circumstance occurred. So, you should not accept the rejection until they provide enough evidence for their statements.
When is One Entitled to Compensation When Flying With American Airlines?
E.U. regulations specify that passengers may receive compensation if an incident caused the delay, cancellation, or denied boarding under the airline’s responsibility.
This means that the airline will have to pay compensation unless it can prove that extraordinary circumstances caused the disruption.
Claim Rejected by American Airlines? We Can Still Help You.
If you are still in doubt whether your flight delay or cancellation qualifies for compensation, once you submit your claim to our team of experts will analyze the circumstances and assess your case.
If your claim has been rejected by American Airlines, you can still submit your claim, and our team will verify and fact-check the airline’s arguments.
In most cases, they assess the situation wrongly and reject perfectly valid claims, so don’t give up just yet; we are here to help you.
American Airlines: Network, History, and Punctuality.
|Company Name||American Airlines|
|Number of Aircrafts||948|
|Number of flight destinations||350 destinations across 5 countries|
|Number of passengers||95.32 million in 2020|
|On-time performance||80.8 %|
What happens if a flight is delayed or cancelled?
If a flight is cancelled for any reason and the traveller chooses not to rebook the same airline, the passenger is entitled to a full refund. You may even be entitled to a refund for a flight delay, depending on the circumstances. Accept the refund and rebook when it works for you.
Does American Airlines give refunds for delayed flights?
In case of a delay of more than 5 hours, you can cancel your booking at no cost, regardless of the distance. American Airlines is obliged to either reimburse you or offer you alternative transportation to your destination.
What do I do if my flight is cancelled?
If your flight is cancelled, you have the legal right to a full refund or a replacement flight to get you to your destination. Replacement flights may include other flights from the airline that you won’t use in the same booking, such as onward or return flights.
How long do airlines have to refund cancelled flights?
Even during the coronavirus outbreak, airlines are legally obliged to refund full amounts within 7 days after the flight cancellation.
Do airlines have to refund your money?
You are entitled to a full cash refund if the airline cancels, makes a significant schedule change, or significantly delays a flight, so wait as long as possible to cancel your American airlines refund request
How long does it take American Airlines to review a refund?
The airline will process your refund back to the original credit card within 7 days. Your refund will be processed within 20 days after receiving a complete refund request for cash and check purchases.
Can I get a full refund from American Airlines?
American Airlines will not issue a full refund when you cancel your flight. Instead, you will receive a flight voucher that you can use for a future American flight. The voucher will be for the entire value of your cancelled ticket minus the applicable cancellation fee.
How long can they delay a flight?
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), there are tarmac delays rules that U.S. airlines must follow. Carriers cannot delay a domestic flight on the tarmac for more than three hours and an international flight on the tarmac for more than four hours.
How do you get compensated for a delayed flight?
There are no federal laws requiring airlines to provide passengers with money or other compensation when their flights are delayed. Each airline has its policies about what it will do for delayed passengers. If your flight is experiencing a long delay, ask the airline customer service if they will pay for meals or a hotel room.
Do airlines cancel flights due to lack of passengers?
The airlines are not allowed to cancel a flight just because there are not enough passengers. But, if no one shows up or purchases a ticket for the flight, it will not take off.
Read about Different Airline Policies and Baggage fees:
- United Airlines Economy vs Basic Economy
- Cathay Pacific: Baggage Fees and Policy
- Ryanair Baggage Allowance, Sizes, Fees & Weight Policy 
- Lufthansa Baggage Fees, Policy & Allowance 
- Sun Country Baggage Fees & Allowance [2021 Update]
- Allegiant Air Baggage Fees & Policy [2021 Update]
- EasyJet Baggage Allowance, Sizes, Fees & Weight Policy 
- Hawaiian Airlines Baggage Fees & Policy [2021 Update]
- Spirit Airlines Baggage Fees & Policy (2020 Update)
- Delta Personal Item Size Guide – What are the Carry On Luggage Sizes for Delta Airlines?
- American Airlines Carry On Size and Rules – Correct Personal Items in American Airlines
- United Carry On Size, Weight, Fees & Limit Guide – 2020